Nitrate Bubbles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I know if I have Nitrate Bubble? Are they different from regular air Bubbles?

Yes I do... What is that cause from? Lighting? Actually I see them on my LR as well and underneath

I think you mean nitrogen bubbles. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but nitrates don't form bubbles. However, nitrates can be converted into nitrogen which will form bubbles.

I think you mean nitrogen bubbles. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but nitrates don't form bubbles. However, nitrates can be converted into nitrogen which will form bubbles.
You are correct, it is nitrogen bubbles and is the last cycle in the Nitrogen cycle. fish waste or food to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen bubbles coming off a DSB.
PS: it is a good thing!!!

I don't under stand I cycled my tank months ago? So is this just something that happens over time?

If they are in fact nitrogen bubbles, it's a good indication that you have a sufficiently deep sand bed to allow for the growth of anaerobic bacteria. It's these bacteria that are able to convert nitrate into nitrogen. We usually think of nitrate as being the last stage in our cycle, and it often is. One of the reasons we do water changes is to dilute the nitrate. If you are able to do this within your system then you are ahead of the game.

I suppose it could also be a result of things that decay in the substrate too. Do you ever stir your substrate? Does your tank have a foul odor?

There will now surely follow a long discussion about what is deep enough when it comes to a sand bed.... Go with what works.

Frankie, the earth's air is around 78% nitrogen, does that make you feel any better? LOL!

Yes I do have a good 3 inch sand bed. but lately been siphoning it up because of Diatoms outbreak. I also do weekly water changes to keep my system in good health. I was just wondering about the bubbles because I read somewhere someone was getting Nitrate bubbles? Then I started thinking I have a lot of bubbles in my system but that started once I put in my new lighting system I just thought the HO of lighting was the problem.

...I was just wondering about the bubbles because I read somewhere someone was getting Nitrate bubbles?...

Nope... they weren't. And as others noted, nitrogen bubbles are a good thing. The final step in the nitrogen cycle (which is always going on in the tank, regardless of when it was cycled) is the conversion of nitrates to N2 gas. This step doesn't always happen in all tanks. If that's indeed what they are in your tank, then it just means your sand/rock is helping you out with your water changes in keeping your nitrates low. That's the whole theory behind deep sand beds... which as someone noted earlier is an entirely different thread to itself! :silly:

I think the timing of your lighting change and the bubbles appearing may just be coincidence.

Sweet! Well my water changes are about 10to14 gallons every Saturday morning depending on how much water I end up making during the week....LOL... Well I take that is what's happening cause there are extremely a lot of bubble from sand and LR... :)

Nice, Please don't over stir your substrate. This will defeat the DSB!

I hope I am not out of line? I was just about to ask the same question. I have just come to the end of my cycling and I have nitrogen bubbles in my substrate. After reading this I am still confused. i know they are nitrogen bubbles; but do I disturb the substrate and allow the bubbles to escape or do I leave them alone. I am just about to add my fish!

If you've just finished your cycle, you could just be seeing regular ol' air bubbles finally making their way to the surface through your sand. It takes a while as your sand slowly settles and compacts over time.

Agree... just let it be. Light vacuuming of a DSB is OK, but as thincat mentioned, don't get in and disturb the deeper layers.

Back
Top Bottom