Nitrate Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is a good hang on skimmer then?
and so definitely dont get the Seaclone?
Would there be any point getting the refugium then? or would it be better putting that money towards just a good skimmer?

Would there be any point getting the refugium then? or would it be better putting that money towards just a good skimmer?
Adding a refugium is always beneficial. A skimmer removes DOC while the fuge will help with biological filtration and nutrient export (depending on how it is set up. I would still put the skimmer as a priority, if possible save up and upgrade from the Seaclone.

Well they both, a skimmer and refugium, serve the same basic function. That is lowering DOC's in the aquarium. A skimmer, well skims them from the tank- obviously(and will remove a few things macro will not ie. coral toxins). A refugium offers more water volume(dilution is the solution to pollution), as well as a place to grow macro algaes to directly export some DOC's. It will also help boost pod populations, which will help control detritus. It's going to take a good skimmer to rival those combined benefits. Running a good chemical media, like GAC or purigen, w/ the fuge would be a good overall system. Chemical media would aid in removing coral toxins, etc. that the macro can't. A skimmer would be the icing on the cake so to speak IMO.
I had a seaclone, and it just does not compare to the Aqua-C Remora HOB I'm using now. Seaclones do a better job of introducing micro-bubbles than anything else. I literally get more skimmate in a 24 hour period, w/ the remora, than the seaclone would produce in a week, or more, if I was lucky. Invest in something worth your money.

Back
Top Bottom