Nitrate is always high, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,

Im very new and here is what i got so far:

Im currently building a 30g tank that will be connected to a 20g sump.

Im running the 20g tank with live rock that i bought from someones aquarium and some from the store.. Full of small crawlies...
I have a pepermint shrimp , 4 snails , 3 hermits, and i can see some worms in the live sand (live sand and arrogate mix)
When i test my water here is what i get every time..

1.024-1.026 gravity
Almost no ammonia -lowest reading
Almost no nitrite - lowest reading
The ph runs between 8-8.5
And my nitrate always on 20-40 <<<

What can i do to lower this thing?
I do water changes almost twice a week
And i was thinking to buy this green algee that said to lower nitrate.. Cant remember the name..
What can i do to lower nitrate down to acceptable level?

Try buying prime and adding Nitra-Zorb to the filter. Both things work great. Also try to remove the worms in the sand.

20-40 nitrates is not a killer. Yes the goal is 0 and it can be accomplished. With frequent pwc's and less feedings it can be accomplished. I would not use chems to accomplish this. On your water changes are you using tap water. If so you could be adding nitrates back in. Over time your tank will develope anerobic bacteria that colonizes in low flow and low oxygen areas in your tank. No need to panic with readings around 20 to 40. Now slowly work to 0 with nitrate free pwc's and less feedings.

after you add your sump you can add some macro like cheato to help with nitrates
are you feeding snails , hermits and shrimp if you are stop !!! feeding will only add to your
nitrate load .
they have enough stuff on the live rock to graze on for now !!
how big are your water changes? you can try a 50% wc to drop down nitrates
but if your using tap water don't waist your salt cause your tap water most likely has nitrates, you can buy rodi water from pet store that will be nitrate free
or you can invest in a rodi system for your home
don't start adding chemicals to your tank to try to drop your nitrates as it most likely will just cause you more issues ,
simple water changes is all that is needed
nitrates 0-10 range is safe for a reef tank but the closer to 0 is ideal
nitrates 20-40 range is safe for a FOWLR tank but the closer to 20 is more ideal
if you can get it even lower than 20 that's even better just don't kill yourself if you can't get it lower

You say you have live rock but how much? Love rock has the ability to convert nitrate to nitrogen gas so more can help

I have about 6 pounds and i am buying more today..
I am actually using tap water and i am doing 5gallon changes.. About 25-35% of my tank volume each time..
I will start using distilled water 0ppm - will that work? Also stop feeding the creatures as you said...
Any thing else :)?

You might want to shake off the rocks under water change change water too, the build up on them can raise nitrates as well. You can also use a turkey baster to blow off anything on the rocks.

you should be using rodi
your local groc store should have a rodi machine just check to see when it was last serviced
if it was just serviced avoid it , its prob still has a few contaminants from cleaning unless it's been a few weeks since being serviced , if hasn't been serviced in the last 3 month avoid that too

You might want to shake off the rocks under water change change water too, the build up on them can raise nitrates as well. You can also use a turkey baster to blow off anything on the rocks.

That actually exactly how i do it :) but i blast the whole aquarium.. Sand rocks and all... Super dirty water comes out... Clean goes in...
In a week or two when booth tanks will be up and running and connected to each other im planing to put a filter sock in the sump for easier collection of this stuff.. Already bought the sock and all :)

I love my filter socks, some people think they are too much work but after a week its amazing what it will catch. Sounds like a good plan. :)

try checking your tap water for nitrates you could be adding them in when you do your water changes. Also how long has this tank been setup it sounds like its still cycling since you also have ammo. and nitrites in your tank. A nitrate of 20 is not bad at all.

try checking your tap water for nitrates you could be adding them in when you do your water changes. Also how long has this tank been setup it sounds like its still cycling since you also have ammo. and nitrites in your tank. A nitrate of 20 is not bad at all.

I have no ammonia and nitrites.. Its on the lowest color in the test... I just assumed i have some..
My rock and sand is from established aquariums, some from 7yo aquarium some from 1yo aquarium and some pre cycled from the store too..

I will check my tap water.. But im going to use distilled water from now on...its about 3$ for 5gallon.. It seems reasonable :)

Adding rock and the macro (cheota) worked wonders!!! Just fid a nitrate test - nothing !!!
Yellow tubes , also tested the tap water for nitrate...
:) I'm ready for my first coral :) hopefully :)

image-4257654072.jpg

And thats only after 12 hours

Back
Top Bottom