Nitrate issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just cycled my tank. Its a 40G breeder. I have 2 powerheads in it a hob whisper filter and a 403 fluval canister filter. I have only had the tank up for about a week. I know people say the canister filters are nitrate factories. I am guessing this could be my problem. I did a quick cycle with 50 lbs of established LR and new sand with a couple handfulls of sand from my buddies established tank. I also put in some "smart start" (bio spira stuff) LFS insisted it works amazing and gave it to me for free so I figured why not. Well in 24 hours I had 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate so I did a 10 gallon water change. 48 hours later I tested again and had the same levels. did another 10 G water change. 3 hours later tested same parameters. WHERE the heck is all the nitrate coming from? Is it possible for the canister to be putting out nitrates that quickly? I did put a sea hare in there to get rid of the hair algea which he has done an amazing job by the way. I did notice ALOT of waste he left behind. Maybe thats another reason for the high nitrates? I am using red sea salt with R/O water.

Any advice is helpful. I plan of building a sump asap. Using a 20G long with a CPR bak pack skimmer and putting a refugium in it.

The canister is only considered a nitrate factory if not cleaned every week. I would really be careful with that seahare. You'll need to feed it seaweed.

crister13 said:
The canister is only considered a nitrate factory if not cleaned every week. I would really be careful with that seahare. You'll need to feed it seaweed.

Is any of your algae dying off? Be careful with seahare sensitive to parameter fluctuations when algae is gone take back to lfs cause it will starve but if your keeping your canister filter clean it shouldn be the issue

Ya I will take it back. I tested my roomates tank and it was at 5

Back
Top Bottom