Originally Posted by biff2100
All can just just say its high nitrates I have the problem with. It's ammonia and nitrite the fish don't like......
I really wouldn't worry too much about 50ppm NO3
for now, as previously stated that is easy to tackle with water changes.
is not terribly surprising considering you have high NH4.
you need to address the important issue of the 0.25ppm NH4. Have a good look around for any deceased tank stock and start immediatley with water changes. If any dead stock is discovered then it needs to come out.
I would also clean all canisters just as routine.
Keep an eye on stock and watch for any signs of ammonia poisoning, gasping, always at the top, always on th bottom, red fins and/or gills, any signs of distress.
You may find that once you beat the NH4 issue the NO3
will also come down.
How old is the tank and how much rock do you have?