Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
borlaracing9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 62
Exclamation Nitrate Problem

Hello guys, I have had my tank up now for about 2 months and i cannot get the nitrate below 20mg/L for the life of me. I have done 5 huge water changes (75% of the water). I added nitrate removing non toxic fish safe chemical (forget the name of it) and changed my filters on my canister and HOB. It than dawned on me to check my source water which was tap water. That tested right out to 20mg/L. I than tested a 4 stage hang on the sink model pur filters water and again 20mg/L came back. I am beginning to think i am gonna need to buy an RO/DI unit to filter my water, they are just so darn expensive for a water filter .
If anyone has any advice or knowledge of why my water is testing so high, it would be greatly appreciated as always. I was under the impression water from the water company shouldn't have more than 5 mg/L of nitrate.. but i may be wrong.
On a happier ending note heres a pic of my tank and its fish so far.
2 damsels
1 perecula clown
1 black perecula clown
All them are getting along quite well out of quarantine and are making quite a happy little fish family!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(8).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	21442   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(9).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	21443  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	21444   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(10).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	21445  

__________________

__________________
borlaracing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
thominil's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the middle of the corn....
Posts: 2,773
If you look on ebay you should find some decent ones for around $100. If you are just doing fowlr you should be fine. Don't add any chemicals as they tend to either not do anything at all, or make the problem worse. Looks great!
__________________

__________________
~Thom
Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Your tank looks nice. I agree about looking on Ebay for a decent RODI unit for a good price. It is a lot more than just the Nitrate which the unit filters out. I can't imagine not using one. I highly recommend you get yourself one before you get a bad algae outbreak which is bound to happen.
Aslo do you have BioBalls, cylinders or some sort of sponge in your filter? If so take that out and it will help reduce Nitrates. Your Live Rock should be good enough where you don't need any of those listed above.
__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
borlaracing9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
If you look on ebay you should find some decent ones for around $100. If you are just doing fowlr you should be fine. Don't add any chemicals as they tend to either not do anything at all, or make the problem worse. Looks great!
Thanks for the advice i appreciate it!
__________________
borlaracing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
borlaracing9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Your tank looks nice. I agree about looking on Ebay for a decent RODI unit for a good price. It is a lot more than just the Nitrate which the unit filters out. I can't imagine not using one. I highly recommend you get yourself one before you get a bad algae outbreak which is bound to happen.
Aslo do you have BioBalls, cylinders or some sort of sponge in your filter? If so take that out and it will help reduce Nitrates. Your Live Rock should be good enough where you don't need any of those listed above.
Thank you for the tank compliment! I dont have bio balls but i do have a huge sponge filter in my fluval 305 canister and i believe the 2 filters are sponge based in my HOB but not positive. I know fluval makes a nitrate removing media i dont know how well it works maybe i should try removing my sponge media and adding some of that? I will also check out the RO/DI units on ebay cause i have heard nothing but good things about them!
__________________
borlaracing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlaracing9 View Post
Thank you for the tank compliment! I dont have bio balls but i do have a huge sponge filter in my fluval 305 canister and i believe the 2 filters are sponge based in my HOB but not positive. I know fluval makes a nitrate removing media i dont know how well it works maybe i should try removing my sponge media and adding some of that? I will also check out the RO/DI units on ebay cause i have heard nothing but good things about them!

Those sponges are called "nitrate factories." I doubt you will ever get close to 0 nitrate with those sponges in there. What I would do, is slowly remove sponges over a couple weeks. I would also get one of those RODI units and get a sump and stop using the canister filter. This is if you want to keep coral. If you want Fish Only, then the 20ppm of Nitrate is not a big deal.
__________________
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....


 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,333
I think we've been through this before. Have your lfs test your tap water. I doubt it's 20.

Nitrate Problem
__________________
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
borlaracing9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I think we've been through this before. Have your lfs test your tap water. I doubt it's 20.

Nitrate Problem
my bad forgot about that post
__________________
borlaracing9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus
 
austinsdad's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Accokeek, Maryland
Posts: 7,694
I rinsed all my sponges that were prefilters to pumps. Wonder if that'll help you.

BTW, 20 and below are acceptable for a lot of people. It giving you any trouble?
__________________
-Ray-

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 787
If you don't plan on keeping corals then I wouldn't worry. If you want the nitrates down, find some good macro algae. They will use the nitrate as "food". Most people recommend Chaeto as it doesn't go sexual, meaning it won't be popping up all over your tank. Get a small ball and watch it grow.
__________________

__________________
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with Nitrate problem saywill Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 20 04-26-2007 05:05 PM
Serious Nitrate Problem aweav Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 03-21-2007 10:53 PM
Nitrate Problem Dmoney Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-12-2007 02:36 PM
nitrate problem Fuvibo1 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 17 07-19-2004 06:36 AM
Nitrate problem Bouch097 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 03-10-2004 08:50 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.