Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling around 10 days and I tested my nitrAtes this morning and again around 5pm. Both times they were around 40-60.

I went to the LFS this evening to pick up my AI Sol and had them test my water while I was there. They used the same test as me (API test) and they had my nitrates through the roof! It was blood red and it turned that color instantly.

I told him it can't possibly be that high because I just checked it. He tested it again, but I noticed he only shook the 2nd solution bottle for about 2 seconds. The directions say to shake it for at least 30 seconds and that it is extremely important. Could that be why it turned blood red so fast?

I got home and tested it again, following directions to the letter. Again, they came out to about 40ppm.

Do I have a bad kit, or is the lack of shaking making it that dark? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?? The kit i have is brand new.

well the directions say to shake the second bottle for 30 sec. but you also have to shake the vial for 1 min. after adding the second solution. I used that test kit and switched to a salifert test kit I think there more accurate but there also a little more expensive.

He shook the vial for just a few seconds. I did it for the prescribed minute. I think I'll take a water sample to another LFS and get their opinion.

I ran the test again this morning. I did it the correct way and nitrates were around 20-40. Then I did it without shaking the solution bottle and it was dark red. So I think it safe to assume that my nitrates really aren't that high.

It sucks that people come I to that LFS asking for tests as they are performed that way. Then the customer rushes home to perform an unnecessary 50% water change.

If you used the API nitrate without shaking you pretty much made that kit useless now. There are 2 parts in the #2 bottle . If not shaken enough you end up using more of one part and whatever is left in your bottle is in unequal parts.

Well crap! Thanks for the notice though. I'll pick up another kit today .

Gotta Shake shake shake bottle # 2

Also be sure to hold the bottle vertical when adding drops. It's proper lab technique and gets you a more accurate volume.

Might want to find another LFS, or at least inform them that they're using their tests wrong. If you don't give that bottle a hefty shake for 30 seconds each time you test, you're going to get skewed results.

I told the guy that I thought he was doing it wrong, but being a noob to this hobby, I wasn't comfortable debating him too much. I'll just go to the other LFS for water testing from now on.

I mean, if it comes down to the only thing they're doing wrong is not reading directions before using a test kit, and the other store doesn't have as healthy of stock or is a big chain store, definitely stay with the store you're using. Support local independently-owned businesses whenever possible, and all that.

I told the guy that I thought he was doing it wrong, but being a noob to this hobby, I wasn't comfortable debating him too much. I'll just go to the other LFS for water testing from now on.

That's too bad he should be helpful and understanding. If the LFS guy is a dud there are probably other employees you can deal with. After all they are being paid (by you) to help you. Sometimes in larger chain stores they won't have a true fish guy just a fish scooper. Try to go to local stores, like TheWonderfulWub said. Even if your drive is a bit longer, you will 'normally' get better help and better quality fish.

One more thing, be picky and take your time! Do your research before you go to the store and try hard not to impulse buy. Inspect your fish before its bagged to make sure its healthy and the one you want. Don't be afraid to change your mind if the fish is unhealthy or has any sign of disease/parasites.

Good luck! :fish2:

Pretty much in agreement. Since starting up with saltwater in November after a decade with freshwater...I had quite the learning curve. Still learning more almost daily. The sad thing is is that the LFS that kept me in freshwater for so long and where I bought the dog laying on my feet as we speak has limited sw knowledge. They have their own sw tanks, but all the coral i have bought from them died after proper acclimation and some of the FOWLR tanks are full of aiptasia.

So pretty much, read and read until you are the expert and know what you are looking at. Even if you don't, either ask or look it up on liveaquaria. I notoriously stare at a tank followed by searching on my smart phone.

Back
Top Bottom