nitrate reducers work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was looking at in a few magazines i recieved and was looking at some nitrate reducers/ sponges. i was looking into buying either the seachem's purigen or their de*nitrate or also KENT's nitrate sponge. I was thinking about buying a few filter socks and just throwing a few of them in my penguin to help reduce nitrates a bit in between water changes? or if anyone has any suggestions on any other products i can use, besides a skimmer because i already have one and a fuge because i plan on making one soon.

I don't think I am answering your question, but I put a bag of Kent Nitrate Sponge in my canister filter over two weeks ago and had not noticed any difference. So I was wondering if anyone had any success with this product? Or should I replace my biological filter media with all Nitrate Sponge to make it effective?

It may be OK to use these medias to control the nitrates but they are only band aids to the problem. Find the cause of high nitrates and then controlling them is easier. Do you use a filter media, bio balls, CC substrate or bio wheels? Any place that detritus can build up will lead to high nitrates after the nitrification process ends. Do you have LR or a DSB for denitrifying bacteria to grow? This bacteria needs anaerobic conditions to flourish. For now the best way to reduce the nitrates is water changes.

i used seachme de nitrate rock or stones that you are suppose to put into a media bag. well it did absolutly nothing for me. and i used a bottle of denitrate and once again did nothing. So my fix to all my problems months ago was over powering three bio wheels that can take care of a tank up to 125g and i only have a 30g. so i went complete over kill on this but since then i had nothing but zero's arcoss the broad. and i have live sand and rock but the biowheel are my safe guard to make sure i dont have to worry anymore about a cycling getting out of contorl. hope this helps !

Back
Top Bottom