Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrate Reductor

Does anyone have comments about adding a nitrate reductor to a 90 gallon set up?

Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

They work if you keep them up. There are two kinds you can look into. Deep sand and coil. I would personally do a fuge though. There is also a company that makes them if you do not want a DIY. If you can not find what you are looking for post back and someone will be glad to help. BTW Wecome to AA

Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

....or the old forbidden product: AZ NO3. I am guilty. i tried everything and my nitrates stayed at 20 at one point...nothing lower than that.

Then, I treated with AZ NO3 and now I've been zero nitrates for 4 months now. healthy corals. Healthy fish. Dark skimming. And I don't have a sump, wet/dry, nor a fuge.

But you might want that to be the last resort. If you can afford fuge, then maybe you should go that route.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #5

can you list a site where I can read up on AZ NO3? The nitrate reductor that I am considering adding to my set up is the Nitrate Reductor 400 by AquaMedic.. thanks everyone for the inputs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NITRATE-REDUCTOR...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
First off welcome to AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gallon
can you list a site where I can read up on AZ NO3?
This article has the most detail.

Possible reactions to using AZ-NO3 are that it could create bacterial blooms and could have an adverse affect on corals and invertebrates. It could even kill fish if the oxygen level gets low enough. The same effect can be accomplished by simply adding sugar or ethanol directly to your tank (which is not recommended.) This creates an uncontrolled reaction that can be very dangerous.

Need more info on your tank:
What is your current no3 level? What stock (fish/inverts/coral) do you have in your 90 gal and what size are your fish currently? Do you have lr and if so how many lbs? What other kind of filtration do you have ie: wet/dry, HOB, or fuge? How often/what do you feed your tank? How often do you perform PWC and what %?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #7

I have 2 small clown fish, 1 porcipine puffer, 3 shrimp and 4 hermit crabs and 4 snails. There is about 40 lbs lr and the filtration system consists of a wet/dry. The clown fish are fed a small amount of flakes twice a day and the puffer is fed 1 shrimp in the morning and 2 in the evening. The PWC are performed about every 2 weeks and about 30% is emptied out. Currently the NO3 level is about 20. Any suggestions to get the NO3 level down?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
20 ppm is ok for a FO/FOWLR tank but I wouldn’t go any higher then that.

How large is your puffer now, I’m guessing 8+” with the amount of shrimp you are feeding. Do you know how old it is? That seems like a ton of food daily to be feeding it if it’s smaller then 8” Most puffers do fine with 2-3 times a week feedings. They are always begging for food but are easily overfed. Personally depending on the size of the puffer I think you are overfeeding at this point which leads to excess waste and eventually excess no3 which you will always battle even doing 30% PWC every other week.

Your bio-load depending on the size of the puffer is pretty small for a 90 gal. Do you feed your clowns anything else besides flake? How long as the tank been set up? Do you use a skimmer in the sump?

Do you have filter floss on the pre-filter or before the bio-balls and clean them weekly? Waste builds up on filter media and if not cleaned regularly will lead to excess no3.

Increasing your lr to 140+ lbs and getting rid of the bio-balls over time would help greatly in keeping your no3 down. I’d also increase your hermits/snails to about 20 total of each. I’d feed your clowns more then just flake. See this post on feeding requirements of SW fish.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nitrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com