Nitrate removal filter vs. protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean by a nitrate removal filter? They have recently come out with bio-pellets that do this but i want to make sure i know what your talking about.

i think thats what hes talking about, i bought some of the nitrate/nitrite media to put in my HOB's media catrage.

nitrite and ammonia are keep extremely close to 0 and nitrate is at around 5ppm atleast they were the last time i tested them

Use the forum's search function, and you'll find several discussions here about those filters.

Protein skimmers remove stuff before they have a chance to break down in to nitrates. Nitrate removers/filters can only work after the nitrates are in the water. Personally, I'd much rather keep nitrates OUT of my system from the beginning (by using a skimmer, not overfeeding, not overstocking, etc), versus playing catch-up with them after they're there.

it never hurts the have extra filtering, just incase your skimmer doesn't catch it all you still have the extra filtering to clean out the nitrates and nitrites from the water before they can harm or kill your fish

Back
Top Bottom