Nitrates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 125g fowlr has been up for roughly 3-4 mo. It was a previously setup yet severly neglected tank. After moving the tank a setting it up again I never really noticed a cycle everything always read 0 except nitrates.....off the chart. So it sat with no livestock for 1 1/2 mo with no change to parameters. I couldn't take it anymore so I slowly started adding fish. Now im into month 5 and the nitrates are still crazy high everything else is still 0. So I am peparing to do a major water change like 50%. My question is that enough? I do have a huge ball of chaeto in my sump. And is there any advice when doing a really big water change? I did invest in an RO/DI system but on the initial fill I just used treated tap water Thanks in advance for any help.

No I haven't moved the sand around it had crushed coral when I moved it and I replaced it with sand when I moved it. I don't really have a spike per se the nitrates have just always been that high.

I would imagine that large water changes would be enough. Are you running any sort of skimmer?

Yes I am running a skimmer I got it from a friend not sure on the brand and I don't think its quite big enough for my tank but it does remove alot of nasty stuff. A reef octopus diablo or an aquamaxx is my next major purchase. Any pointers on doing a large water change? As long as my salinity and temp matches my DT it shouldn't stress my inhabitants too bad will it?

If there's a large difference in the pH levels between the tank and additional water I would add the water at a fairly slow pace but other than that the temp and pH matching should be fine.

I use IO reef crystals for my mix so my ph should stay fairly stable I will test just to make sure though. Thanks so much for your input.

I am new to the hobby too, but sounds like you are on the right track. I would match the saline, temp and pH as closely as possible and do 30-50% water changes daily until my nitrates were less than 10 :) G00d Luck!

I hear ya but my RO recharges SO slowly I mean really I have been working on filling my 50 gal drum for 3 days. It takes forver to just fill the 4 gal pressure tank on my system and once that's depleted I have to sit and wait for it to recharge really frustrating.

I hear ya but my RO recharges SO slowly I mean really I have been working on filling my 50 gal drum for 3 days. It takes forver to just fill the 4 gal pressure tank on my system and once that's depleted I have to sit and wait for it to recharge really frustrating.
What is the GPD rating on it? Sounds like you either got a really slow membrane or you don't have enough water pressure. Mine shows 75 GPD but I can fill my 44 gallon can in about 6-7 hours @65 psi WP. Most membranes need about 50psi minimum that I've ever seen.

I'm not home Carey told me to pull the membrane for the info about gpd. But yeah it seriously takes about 2-3 hrs to recharge my holding tank before I have enough pressure to operate.

I'm not home Carey told me to pull the membrane for the info about gpd. But yeah it seriously takes about 2-3 hrs to recharge my holding tank before I have enough pressure to operate.
Might want to invest in either a dedicated rodi unit for fish water or upgrade your existing one to a faster membrane if you have the water pressure to use it. If all you can do is pressurize the 4 gallon tank then try taking the tank rodi line off and run a T with a little ball valve so you can bypass the tank when you need it to run for a long period of time like when filing a large drum of water.

Back
Top Bottom