Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrates

What is a acceptable level of nitrates in a fish only tank? I have heard as low as possible. ...but not over 10 ppm...any thoughts....

29 gallon biocube.....1 clowfish.....1 sixline wrasse.....coral beauty angel fish. ...watchman goby. ...short spinned sea urchin....bubble tip anenome. ...choco chip star fish. ...brittle star....and a few snails.
cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancun View Post
What is a acceptable level of nitrates in a fish only tank? I have heard as low as possible. ...but not over 10 ppm...any thoughts....
In a fish only tank I would say 20ppm isn't a terrible level. If you're talking about your tank that contains the nem then as close to 0 as possible.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Smile

Thank you for responding! I am trying to keep my nitrates as close to 0 as possible. ...this morning I tested at it was 10 ppm.....does anyone know if there is any filter media such as API or anything that helps with nitrates? I know API makes phos-zorb....for phosphates. ....I have my reg biocube filter in the back section....and underneath it I have a API chem-zorb pouch....thank you in advance for all of your help!!!
29 gallon biocube.....1 clowfish.....1 sixline wrasse.....coral beauty angel fish. ...watchman goby. ...short spinned sea urchin....bubble tip anenome. ...choco chip star fish. ...brittle star....and a few snails.
cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dont think there is any media that directly removes N03. There are nitrate reducing media that harbors anaerobic bacteria but takes time to be effective if it even will be, and is probably no better than bio filtration from live rock. Best ways of immediately reducing N03 is by nutrient export through water changes and protein skimming. Skimming can even be enhanced by carbon dosing (whole other topic) to bring nitrates to near zero.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seachem makes a de nitrate media you can add to your filter.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com