Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Nitrates and mushroom corals

I am interested in trying a mushroom colony or 2 in my tank. It is a 180 gallon tank that has a fairly decent bio load. The tank contains 1 Blue ringed Angel, 1 Yellow Tang, 2 banner fish, 2 percula clowns, 1 royal grama, 2 serpent stars, 1 sand sifting star, 3 or 4 turbos and a half dozen hermits. None of the fish are anywheres near full size.

My question is regarding nitrates I have read that nitrates are hard on corals but I have yet to come across a nitrate range that corals have been successfully kept. My water Quality is fairly good, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, ph 8.2, but nitrates are always between 5 and 10 ppm. I have 2 tunze 6060 streams moving the water around the tank as well. Would I have trouble keeping the mushrooms healthy in this environment or would I simply be wasting my money is basically my question?

My lighting is also kind of strong for a fish only tank with live rock. I have 2 60" aqua sun VHO bulbs on the tank which are 280 watts of light.

You know what since im asking are there any other types of corals that may be suitable for this environment?

Thanks
John

Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

5 to 10 will be OK. Getting to 0 is pretty hard. I only get there because of feeding every other day , weekly PWC`s and a refuge packed with macro and a RO/DI unit. Alot of test kits dont accurately measure nitrates either. If you are at 5 or 10 I think your doing OK but always strive to get as close to 0 as possible. I`ve always said a long time ago that 0 was a mythical number when it comes to nitrates but I was wrong. It can be achieved.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Also as far as the mushrooms, I would think you would be OK. I have some that are growing under rocks so they really dont need that much light but I think you would be stretching it for other corals as your lighting needs to be a bit stronger IMO. You really need to sit down and figure out what you want to do as far as your tank and plan accordingly.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I am not interested in going full blown reef with this tank. I liked the mushroom idea to give the tank just a little bit of a livelier look for the aqua scaping. I just want to make sure that my environment would'nt be too counter productive for them. I love my fish and I know that they are reef risky especially the heni's. They scan, pick at and investigate any thing new that has been added to the tank. I actually thought the lighting may be too much for the mushrooms. But I am thinking I can put them low in the tank, out of of heavy flow and in a shady sort of area.

Do you have a favorite type of mushroom that you really enjoy?

Thanks Again
John
Old 01-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Your lighting is fine for mushrooms, and maybe some zoanthids as well.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

This is my favorite mushrooms. I have hundreds in the tank on many rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0144_133.jpg (60.4 KB, 99 views)

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
coral, corals, mushroom, mushroom corals, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com