Nitrates and ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milmokes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my tank again for nitrates and pH. Nitrates are at 40 ppm and pH is 7.8-8.0. I have a 29 gallon tank with a 2-3" inch sand bed, skilter 400 and 30-40 pounds of live rock. The nitrate and pH problem has been going on since tank has been established. I have changed the water every week (at least 5 gallons) for the last 2 months and us to do it every 2 weeks before that. I would like to add an anemone and coral, but I feel nitrates are too high and don't know how to get them down. I was either figuring:

1. Add a protein skimmer and get rid of the skilter? The protein skimmer on the skilter does not work. I just filter with the carbon. Or use both?
2. Do a deep sand bed? This would seem like a pain the butt to do.
3. For the pH, add a pH buffer or if I get the skimmer would this stabilize it?
4. Get a r/o or use distilled water? I checked for nitrates in the tap water and it tested 0ppm.

I really enjoy keeping a tank and want my fish to be happy, but I get frustrated because I can't get my water parameters right. Any help is appreciated.

I'd look into a skimmer first and foremost. CPR BakPak, AquaC Remora. This won't directly pull down your nitrates, but will remove decaying matter which will turn into nitrates.

When you mix up your salt, what is your pH reading? What SG are you targeting? Whats your alk? And when are you taking the reading (time of day)? (long string of questions there, sorry)

What other livestock do you have in the tank. Too many fish means high nitrates. Ditch your tap water too.

What kind of test are you using?

Well, if your tap source is at 0 nitrates, its not a major contributing factor.

I'm curious about how the water reads after mixing and letting it age. I've managed to always be lucky I guess and end up with SW at a pH of 8.2 (and a suitable alk).

Back
Top Bottom