Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

NitrAtes drop during cycle and cure?

I am 2 weeks into a BRS dry rock cure and cycle, and my nitrAtes have dropped off to only about 5ppm after spending a week off the charts. I expect this with nitrites, but have never seen the nitrAtes drop without a water change.

The only thing I did recently was to add Matrix Carbon by SeaChem to the flow to cut on the stink. That shouldn't have triggered a nitrAte drop though...

Anyone ever seen this or know how it could happen? I am running with a live sand bed and BioSpira during the cure and cycle...

Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your ammonia source?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

a jumbo cocktail shrimp.

I tested tonight...ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about the same as before. I dosed with plain ammonia and will take another test tomorrow night.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Post those results when you get them.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ever have that sinking feeling you f'ed up somewhere along the way...yeah, I woke up with that feeling this morning. My tank is 20 gallons, with about 15 gallons of water in it, the rest of the volume is rock and live sand.

I sat down and dug up some old high school chemistry out of my brain, and figured I needed to dose 5 teaspoons (about 25mL) of ammonia to get to about 5ppm in the tank. Did I way overdose the tank? Will it do anything to the BB that are in there, or just give them a few days worth of food for them to chomp away at?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops. Off by a factor of 10. For a 60 L water volume you wanted 0.24 mL pure ammonia or 2.4 mL of a 10% solution. 1/2 a tsp

You could be looking at a 40 ppm level right now. If there is nothing in a CUC or other life, your BB may start, as it is food they're sitting in (amm is not poisonous to BB). Personally I'd wait and see if it gets consumed. If your nitrites climb you should be good.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I realized that when I got into work and re-did the numbers this morning. I had loads of BB in the tank to start (live sand plus BioSpira), and this is over 2 weeks in, so hopefully they will happily chew away at this.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crossing my fingers, eyes, and feet for ya!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Everything that can be crossed is crossed...(The eyes are really tough, though, and I'm getting a helluva headache )
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK, so today was a stressful day at work, not knowing what I would come home to. Good news: the nitrites are back up, and the ammonia is still high, but definitely not as high as it was this morning. I'm willing to bet that by the end of the week, it will be back to zero. I hope this is the worst mistake I make on my tanks

Tags
cure, cycle, drop, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com