Nitrates that won’t DIE !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddsam02

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m at the of the rope. I have had this 55 gallon for 4 years and have never been able to get under 20 nitrates. Here’s my list of accomplishments since the beginning

Added hang on protein skimmer
Replaced canister filter for sump
Replaced hang on for Octo protein skimmer
Replaced lighting for LED
Upgraded power heads
Just removed all sand within 5 weeks and have been bare bottom for two weeks with 50% water change each week
I’m new to this site so I’m hoping there’s something else I’m missing

NitrAtes are not bad for the tank at a minimal level. NitrItes on the other hand, are. If you have 20 nitrAtes you have nothing to worry about. Water changes and plants are the only ways to remove nitrAtes.

Thanks for the reply. Yes to the RO water and yes I use LFS water for changes. Is my tank to small for corals? I have an anemone and a few mushrooms but corals won’t last or don’t grow. I can keep the parameters in check except the nitrates unless I water change weekly.

Well it sounds to me like your water source has those nitrates in it and that you are replacing them during water changes. If your lfs is telling you that spending money in their store will lower your nitrates, which are at a fine level for a reef tank for the record, then I’d pick a different place to shop and get advice.
A 55 is a fine tank for a reef. I had one running for several years before upgrading to my current system.
The key for reefs is stability. You’ll need to keep up with your weekly 10% water changes to replace the elements that the corals are consuming. You won’t need to dose anything as at such a size it’ll cause more issues than solve.
Most corals in the hobby are photosynthetic. Proper lighting is all they need to survive.

Consider changing your nitrAte test kit. Had one that was consistenly overstating the amount of A-tes in my tank. Finally tested my tap-water with it and they tested high there too. My water company said it should be near zero and sent me their report. I double checked and sent my tap water to a company for analysis and it came back at near zero. Threw out my test kit.
-John

Back
Top Bottom