Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrates won't Go away , need advice!

Hi everybody I need help with lowering my nitrates. They stubbornly stay at 20 ppm and I am so wanting a shrimp ):

I have tried the following -

Swishing/rinsing filter media to clear gunk
Vacuum most of what I can on the tank floor
Multiple water changes even going up to 70% changes, but still stays at 20ppm
I have cleaned my protein skimmer

I was wondering,
When I bought my live rock I did not scrub them with a toothbrush. Is it possible that this is causing the problems? :T I will take them out of the tank and scrub them down if it is very certain they are causing the nitrates ): but I am not looking forward to rescaping because I am really happy with it.

Please let me know if not scrubbing down these rocks is causing these problems.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think it would. My guess is a bad test kit or your water change water is at 20ppm

Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No my water I am testing is at 0 nitrates (buying saltwater from a LFS) and my saltwater test is the API master test kit :T ,

Would it help if I got a deep sand bed? 4-6" Currently mine is probably 3" give or take around my tank
Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you have any macroalgae growing in your refugium ( if you have a refugium) maybe that would help if you added some. chaetomorpha algae(don't know if spelled correctly, sorry its late)
Old 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Look at the last 2 digits on one of the bottles that you're using for your nitrate test. If it's lower than 10, throw them away and get a new test kit.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

You are testing the lfs water correct? How long has your tank been up, what live stock, and tank size? What are your feeding habits? And what do you feed.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

One other thing to add, most LFS will water test your sw water for free...take them about a cup of it in a ziplock. Then you can know if it's your testing supplies.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetee View Post
You are testing the lfs water correct? How long has your tank been up, what live stock, and tank size? What are your feeding habits? And what do you feed.
Yes theirs comes out as 0 nitrates, my tank has been up about 1 month and a half, there used to be a clownfish who I fed 1/4th of a block of brine shrimp for about 2 days before he got sick and I quarantined him. I also dissolve the brine shrimp in a separate container.

And to the other person...one of the last 2 digits says 09 ,___, .
I don't know what that means but yeah...I guess it won't hurt to get my water tested at a LFS but I'm still not thinking its the problem if the water I buy still shows up as 0 nitrates.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis View Post
Yes theirs comes out as 0 nitrates, my tank has been up about 1 month and a half, there used to be a clownfish who I fed 1/4th of a block of brine shrimp for about 2 days before he got sick and I quarantined him. I also dissolve the brine shrimp in a separate container.

And to the other person...one of the last 2 digits says 09 ,___, .
I don't know what that means but yeah...I guess it won't hurt to get my water tested at a LFS but I'm still not thinking its the problem if the water I buy still shows up as 0 nitrates.
That means your testing liquid was made in 2009, I think they're only accurate up to two years.

I don't know a lot about SW tanks yet, but I think 1/4th a block is a lot if it's the same size as my blocks. I was told to feed a "sliver" by my LFS and there's still some uneaten.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

mk i do take out leftover though. I will go and take my water to the lfs tomorrow, but just in case they tell me the same thing are there any suggestions to lowering my nitrates?

Does a deep sand bed help remove nitrates? Also, should I be vacumming/stirring up my sand bed? thanks!

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com