Nitrates won't go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tested again and it was at 40 ppm I think when I hold it to the card it makes it darker so I think it is 40 so can I add fish and do biweekly 20% changes

I'm guilty of having done that. Keep in mind just in case the salt water ammonia and fresh water amonia cards are different with api. I'm guilty of that too if you put the salt and fresh water ammonia result cards side by side you'll see the salt is a little greener that the fresh. I learned that the hard way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When testing the color how do you go about doing that

Have you had your water tested by a lfs to double check your kit? Api kits can go bad, it should have an expiration date but it can go bad before that so I would just double check at a lfs, preferably a dedicated marine store

Tate the kit comes with fairly simple instructions but in a nut shell you take some water from your tank fill it to a specific delta on a vile that is included and add test solution per direction for that specific test. The solutions will mix and create a color. Included in the kit is a result card it will show you what color you should be at. Example the amonia test. This test requires you to put 8 drops of solution in your vile from bottle 1 of the amonia solution. You cap the vile give it a small shake. Remove the cap then add 8 drops from test solution bottle 2. You will cap your vile shake it for 8 seconds. Set your vile aside and give it 5 minutes or so to let the color accumulat. For saltwater it will be mostly yellow with a hint of green if it's at 0 anything more it will turn more green all the way to green green. You will place the vile next to the amonia color card the card has different colors that coincide with ppm readings you want 0 any more than zero it will be greener and greener. It's easier than it sounds.

Big reds 1 or 2 times a week I get my lfs to do a water test.

There are expiration dates on top of each bottle. It was recomended to me by my lfs to shake each bottle.

Back
Top Bottom