nitrifying bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi anyine ever used nitrifying bacteria in there tank? Like atm used in there episodes. I watched the show tanked and I see that they sell there product at petco. was wondering if you can use it to cycle tank. Planning to cycle my tank 1 to 6 weeks. Slow planning but want a good setup, once and right, tank will be 150 gallon long and short tank refugium sump pvc pipes shoot off valves protein skimmer in sump. Light for refugium and one to save on energy for electrical coast. A good power surge. Tank with nice canopy top, one to house lighting underneath it, light leds t5 ho any suggestions or advice to this planning would be greatly appreciated. Question to this planning water I have a filter to my main water line can I use my tap water? Also I have a filter undersink to filter for drinking any advice. Thanks

I personally have no faith in the stuff. For it to work it would have a shelf life and need to be refrigerated, which I have yet to see in places like Petco. If it was past the shelf life, all the bacteria in there would die. Either way, a small cycle would need to occur.

You can use it, but do so as a supplement to the cycle process, not a replacement. Personally, I believe in doing the right way the first time....

Thank you, I want to do it the right way so don't bother with nitrifying bacteria?

Thanks phranque, I wont use it and thanks for advice and opinion. My planning and setup I want it to be once and right

I can say I used Tetra SafeStart in a freshwater tank once..... my cycle still took 6 or 7 weeks, but not once did I see any hint of nitrites. Testing went from ammo to nitrates, so it may have helped in that instance, but I don't cut any corners when it comes to my reef.....

I know a lot of people here are against it, but I've used it and had no problems. I used Dr. Tim's "One & Only" and ended up with about a one week cycle. That is the only brand that I've seen that seems to have backing from experts out there. Go to the site, read and watch the video. Several public aquariums use their product. The Tanked brand is probably just a relabeled brand from another manufacturer.

I'm not against the fishless cycling, I just don't have a problem spending the money to get my tanks running a little quicker. It absolutely works.

People will disagree but it worked for me. I used this... Saltwater SmartStart My LFS gave me a bottle cause he liked it so much. Granted I used 40+ lbs of established Live rock and a few hand fulls of established sand. But I Never saw an ammonia spike or anything. Could of been the established LR or sand. but I know when I start another tank I will use it for sure.

Back
Top Bottom