Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

nitrite

I have a 150 gl tank with a amiracle wet/dry filter I used live crush coal for the bed and put in 25 pounds of live rock in . this tank was set up on 12/25/03 . I have not done a water change on it should I ? when I test the water I get high levers of nitrite how long will this take to cycle or is there anything i can do to help it along?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
WIth a wet/dry filter the tank should have cycled by now unless you got some really nasty dieoff from the live rock.

Are you sure your not getting nitrIte and nitrAte mixed up? NitrIte is fairly toxic to fish where as nitrAte is not so toxic to fish.

IMO you should do a water change of 15 gal on your tank and you should get in the habit of doing this every two weeks.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
You shouldn't do water changes while cycling because it's counterproductive. However, like fishfreek said, your tank should be cycled enough that your nitrites are undetectable, so who knows.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have a 150 gl tank with a a miracle wet/dry filter I used live crush coral for the bed, this tank was set up on 12/25/03. I put in 25 pounds of live rock on 1/15/04. This was shipped to me overnight and I didn't cure it before putting it in. I have not done a water change yet, should I ? when I test the water I get high levels of nitrite and low levels of ammonia. I'm using fasTest test kit. How long will this take to cycle or is there anything i can do to help it along?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
steve-s

Even a small amount of uncured rock can cause an elevation in the numbers. Since the tank was started it only had 20 days to run through the cycle before a new nitrogen source was introduced. This basically puts you back a few steps as it will ned to process the extra nitrite.

Since you used uncured LR, you can do some water changes to keep the DOC lower and the nitrites at a less leathal level. This will allow for a greater portion of the hitchikers to survive and should not prolong the cycle that much. These articles will help.

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish.
Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com