nitrite level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frogiii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my new set up is up and running for about 3weeks not. My nh3/nh4 is at 0 and no2 is at 2.0 I was able to lower high level of nh level down within 1week and nitrite level still is at 2.0 (same for 2weeks) I've 1 small fish and 10 turbo snails and 6 hermit crab in it. Also, how often do I clean top sponge filter from w/d (where water first enters from the main tank) or replace??? Do I need to clean the filter block from bio ball to sump area?

Sounds like you are still cycling. I would just let it ride for now. You need to consider the well-fare of the fish, however. So if nitrites get too much higher be prepare to do a water change. Cycling with fish is every stressfull on them and actually does not need to be done. You can take it back to the store and finish your cycle jsut fine. If you end up doing a water change you can possiblly increase cycle time.

Also, how often do I clean top sponge filter from w/d (where water first enters from the main tank) or replace??? Do I need to clean the filter block from bio ball to sump area?

I did the water change at 1week 40% to reduce high nh and 10% following week.
how soon no2 level get's to 0 on a new set up normally??

The nitrite part of the cycle is the longest. If you've been at the same place for a couple of weeks, you might start to see it drop in the next week or so--or it could take longer. It's the "hard to be patient" part of the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom