Nitrite levels still reading 0 during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twocanraf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I'm starting my very first 36 gallons Salt water reef aquarium. I already added Aqua Plus and Cycle, installed power filter, added a Blue Damsel and a Royal Gramma, and 2 hermit crabs. The tank has had the fish for almost a week now and the only readings I get are 0.5 ammonia and 0-5 Nitrate but no Nitrite ever (0) so it's starting to concern me if maybe the tank isn't growing the beneficial bacteria propertly. I havent added any live rocks/corals because I still dont know whether I should wait for the Nitrogen cycle to balance itself out. How long should I wait to add some anemones and sponges? Thank you for your help.

It will take a couple of weeks for the bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrates to catch up with the bio load you have in the tank. Most the bacteria is living and multiplying in the filter media in your power filter. It was a little early to add the fish. Keep an eye on the ammonia & nitrates. If they get any higher, do a partial water change to protect the fish.
Have you added sand yet? Sand will be another place that these bacteria can live and multiply. Where is your live rock coming from?
What kind of lighting system do you have?

You need to slow down, adding fish to a new tank is not the best way to cylce a tank. Expecially a gramma. Also unless you get cured Lr your going to have another cycle with the die off from the LR. Do some reading on cycling a tank. I hope it all works out for you.

I hated it when my LFS suggested that I use Mollys and Damsels to cycle my tank!!
Talk about being mean and stressing the hell out of your fish! I told him I was planning on using LR or some store bought shrimp and he told me that wouldn't work!
Dumba$$

I'll show him!!! 8)

Thank you for the advise. Well, I only performed a partial 5-10% water change yesterday evening so I don't stress the fish too much. Perhaps I'll do the same later today since the ammonia level still reads 0.5. I am testing the water daily for salinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I haven't purchased any sand yet because I started the aquarium with crushed corals which they claimed it was beneficial for the bacteria. I might pick up a bag of sand today. I tried to check the aquarium light but the light bulb doesn't specify the amount of watts it uses but the canister has a label that reads 20 watts... I'm going back to the pet store to find out how much lighting my aquarium is really receiving. The live-rock is already pre-cycled there. Thanks again. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom