Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

equipment

I have a Millennium 3000 wet-dry multi-filter. It has filter cartidge pad, activated carbon, and Bio-grid for growing nitrifying bacteria. Right now I'm also running the filter from my 10 gallon (for the bacteria)Aquatech 5-15 power filter, Aqua clear 50 Power head w/ quick filter attachment. I checked the nitrites in the 10 gallon before transfer and they were negative. Of course we could have stirred up something when moving the sand. Also have a bubble disc, piece of coral we found(had it cured at the aquarium for over 3 weeks) I think that's about it. Oh and the other rock structure I mentioned earlier.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #22

Oh yeah-livestock includes a coral beauty, peppermint shrimp, and 3 grass shrimp

Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyforvols View Post
... I checked the nitrites in the 10 gallon before transfer and they were negative. Of course we could have stirred up something when moving the sand. ...
Oh... you moved the sand over too! I think we were missing that piece of information. Normally, folks won't reuse sand when switching tanks because of all the nasties that are deep inside it. Those nasties are find as long as they stay in the sand, but once disturbed... from either a real deep vacuuming/cleaning, or from a transfer... they can really muck up your water parameters.

Most likely, you stirred up a fair amount of stuff that your existing biological filter couldn't handle, so you ended up with another cycle. Not sure how long it will take for your bacterial to catch up, but I'd keep an eye on those water parameters and have plenty of premade saltwater ready for water changes just in case.

Just FYI... the bubble disk isn't really doing anything for aeration of your tank. That's more a freshwater thing. But if you like the looks of it, that's another thing!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #24

sand

Well...that's what I thought about the sand, but the fish store thought it would keep our bacteria count up enough in the new tank. We had just set up the 10 gal in November. Lesson learned on that one. I guess that's what happens when you're still learning.
Checked the trites just now, and they're a much lighter orange-0.8ish. I think I'll do another pwc this morning. Everybody's still happy and swimming around like usual. Doesn't look like anyone's suffered ill effects from this except me stressing!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #25

Yeah-the bubble disc is just for looks.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #26

nitrites at 0.3-very lt orange that was about half hour after pwc. Gonna leave it be for awhile and check results later
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

It appears that the move of the sand brought some decaying matter with it. Your new filter is just getting started and the load is too much for the old filter. PWCs are your friend for now.

Do you plan on removing the old filter or keep it running alonside the new filter. It would perfect to use in 10 gal for QT of any new livestock. You could just move it over when needed and have a cycled 10 gal QT tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #28

I thought I'd leave it in the new tank for a week more, and then back to the ten gallon-which will be my QT tank.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Are you planning on keeping the QT tank running all the time? You'll need to feed the tank to keep the bacteria population alive. Just a pinch of flake once a week should do.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #30

I'm setting that tank up now. We plan on keeping some grass shrimp in there. Those guys can survive anything! We put them in the 55 while we were setting it up-just for an experiment-and they're still in there now-happy as can be. My trites are now 0!! I'm so happy!All other perimeters are perfect. We added a few green Chromis last night and they are doing great. We may put one in the QT tank-not sure yet. My live rock-Igot it cured, but without any apparent growth on it-much cheaper. Well we've got some polyps, and I just noticed a bunch of baby feather dusters and a few unidentifiable growths.

Tags
nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com