Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gavh86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my nitrites and nitrates have been high for 4 days now i have done 1 20% waterchange and nothing has changed how long does it take to go opinions please ??

Need more info ...Are you cycling a tank? There should be no nitrites in a cycled tank.

What size tank? What is your filtration?

Its going through the cycle at the min and it just a filteration i got with the tank it has lots movement in the bottom and top of tank its bin cyling now for 10 days and had nitrites and nitrates for 4 days 0 ammonia and 8.0 PH

How are you cycling it? What is the ammonia source? If the tank is cycling , you don't want to do water changes. You want ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That is how the cycle works. You should end up with zero ammonia and nitrites and high nitrates in the end. That is when you do a big partial water change to being the trates down. It should take about 4-6 weeks.

I just realized that you have had other threads asking about the same type of thing and people keep telling you to read up on this process. Have you done that yet? If so, you should be understanding how this all works and realize that water changes are not done until the end. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you are not reading and learning, you are going to have a string of failures moving forward. Saltwater does not work well if you are constantly trying to fix problems. Its better to research, learn and know how to prevent problems from occurring in the first place.

Its better to research, learn and know how to prevent problems from occurring in the first place.
+1. trust us. you will end up spending a TON of money trying to reactively catch problems if you dont research and understand the tank beforehand

Its going through the cycle at the min and it just a filteration i got with the tank it has lots movement in the bottom and top of tank its bin cyling now for 10 days and had nitrites and nitrates for 4 days 0 ammonia and 8.0 PH

During the cycle ,
I thought I read water changes will only prolong it.
What are you using for a source of ammonia ?
Is there any live stock in the tank?

I just realized that you have had other threads asking about the same type of thing and people keep telling you to read up on this process. Have you done that yet? If so, you should be understanding how this all works and realize that water changes are not done until the end. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you are not reading and learning, you are going to have a string of failures moving forward. Saltwater does not work well if you are constantly trying to fix problems. Its better to research, learn and know how to prevent problems from occurring in the first place.

Now that I read this post I think I might have replied to this more then once .
It's a lot to read and research at the beginning but I will say .
It is more then worth it .
The other thing that I read a lot about is
" is there a cheaper way to run a salt water tank ?"
I don't find it expensive after the initial setup .
Besides water changes once a week I everything runs and works together .

anyone going in search of a cheaper way to run a sw tank is going to end up spending more money than anyone else. its best just to buy decent-quality products and set yourself up for success. the money aspect shouldnt really matter once you sit down and look at the tank

anyone going in search of a cheaper way to run a sw tank is going to end up spending more money than anyone else. its best just to buy decent-quality products and set yourself up for success. the money aspect shouldnt really matter once you sit down and look at the tank[/QUOTE
+1 on the sitting and enjoying It .
Funny you say this .
Apparently I found the most expensive salt ,
But I did start off cheap with a free tank , used rocks , lights and skimmer
I'm building a 125 now hoping It all goes well and can have it up and running by feb, march
Have you heard of anyone using a 3/4hp pool pump as a external return pump ?

I have heard of it but usually only on monster setups.

image-3853437813.jpg

This is the pump I was considering including in my 125 build .
I pick up the tank and stand this weekend .
I already have a 75 reef
But as we all know it's a obsession and all have the need to go bigger .

I dont think id use it. Just seems like its overkill and you can prob match the gph flowrate with a much smaller and efficient pump

Back
Top Bottom