Nitrogen cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

likeaboss2645

Aquarium Advice Activist
So besides tank water and rock is there anything else you need to start cycling your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I had heard that but was jms thx I will throw a shrimp in

I didn't put anything but water sand and LR in mine and it cycled in a month.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It all depends on your rock, and how much die off is on it. You need to raise ammonia levels somehow. If the rock is clean and nothing is rotting on it, this will not happen without help. Hence the shrimp.

Tank Cycling

So besides tank water and rock is there anything else you need to start cycling your tank?

Hello like...

Set up the tank with filter, heater, substrate, floating plants and water. You'll need a steady source of ammonia, so what better one than some hardy fish. Danios, Rasboras, Platys or White Cloud Minnows are all good choices. These will easily tolerate the substandard water conditions that come with the nitrogen cycle. Put in the fish, 3 or 4 for every 10 gallons of water, feed a little every couple of days and test the tank water every day for ammonia or nitrite. Change a quarter of the water if you have a trace of either of these toxins. Test until there's no trace of these toxins and the tank is cycled.

B

Hello like...

Set up the tank with filter, heater, substrate, floating plants and water. You'll need a steady source of ammonia, so what better one than some hardy fish. Danios, Rasboras, Platys or White Cloud Minnows are all good choices. These will easily tolerate the substandard water conditions that come with the nitrogen cycle. Put in the fish, 3 or 4 for every 10 gallons of water, feed a little every couple of days and test the tank water every day for ammonia or nitrite. Change a quarter of the water if you have a trace of either of these toxins. Test until there's no trace of these toxins and the tank is cycled.

B

Not sure Rasboras, Danios, platys, or White cloud mountain minnows will tolerate the water very well. It is a salt water tank after all. Mollies or guppies would though.

I think the above advice was for a freshwater tank? Don't do a fish in cycle for saltwater, just use a shrimp as others have suggested. Yes you'll need a heater, and all the rock and sand you want before you start the cycle. There are some great article on here about set up and maintenance of salt water tanks, check them out before buying anything...

But for some reason some people started posting fresh water advice

how about a dead fish instead of a shrimp?
If the fish didn't die of an infection or something I'd say it's fine, it might release a bit too much ammonia though.
But for some reason some people started posting fresh water advice

Its fun how a single person can totally derail a thread.

Back
Top Bottom