No acclimation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey, i just handed over my hawkfish to a new lfs i dont kno alot about (i get my water from them) and they put my fish in a little cubical box without acclimating it. Is this dangerous? i asked them, but they said it was ok. I bought a fish at the same time (sailfin tang) and he seems to be fine.

IMO, some LFS's are so busy that they may feel it's too much effort to acclimate them first. Is this a large LFS? I have found that many smaller one's take more care with the handling of the fish.

hey

they are really new and pretty small. They are always busy with phone calls, and is run by 1 family. It cracked me up how the owners son was trying to catch my newly aquired sailfin tang, it took him about 5 min

Re: hey

reefmaster said:
It cracked me up how the owners son was trying to catch my newly aquired sailfin tang, it took him about 5 min

This probably stressed the heck out of the fish!!! Sure hope you didn't repeat the LFS's mistake and allowed this fish to acclimate slowly.

I'd watch that - they could stress delicate fish out too much if they're not careful in catching them, and the fish may not recover from it after the transfer to your tank. If they're putting too much of a stress on the fish they're trying to catch, I would tell them to stop. I'd rather buy a fish later that was caught properly rather than have a fish now that's all stressed out and risk losing it. A friend of mine lost some very expensive fish to this and the LFS pretty much told him 'too bad'.

Back
Top Bottom