No ammonia no shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Openbrain

Aquarium Advice Activist
F i have no ammonia dosages or a shrimp what else from the fridge can i throw in to start a cycle?

Any raw fish will do. Just not to big. Just keep it "shrimp" size. You could use raw beef in a pinch but a smaller non fatty piece. The oils in red eat take longer to break down.

IchthyChris said:
Any raw fish will do. Just not to big. Just keep it "shrimp" size. You could use raw beef in a pinch but a smaller non fatty piece. The oils in red eat take longer to break down.

Off to the store. I have nothing you all said. Thanks friends!!

IchthyChris said:

Ok how long do i leave the shrimp in? Its been a few weeks

melosu58 said:
Untill you get some readings of ammonia. I would say about 3-4 ppm on your water test results.

Ok def have it. I was worried about removing the ammonia source and the cycling cycle

melosu58 said:
Untill you get some readings of ammonia. I would say about 3-4 ppm on your water test results.

I have removed the disgusting shrimp. Now a water change?

Depends on what your readings are. If the ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm and nitrates are high, then do a water change. If you still have ammonia or nitrites you need to continue dosing ammonia.

spoonman said:
Depends on what your readings are. If the ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm and nitrates are high, then do a water change. If you still have ammonia or nitrites you need to continue dosing ammonia.

Continue dosing-or leave the shrimp in correct?

Ammonia 0.25ppm
Nitrites 0.8mg

I have read both no water changes during a cycle and yes do water changes during cycles i have read both of them working out. Dont know if one or the other makes it go by any faster

keep dosing ammonia. The cycle isnt done yet. I like to use pure ammonia, that way you can precisely control the amount.

spoonman said:
keep dosing ammonia. The cycle isnt done yet. I like to use pure ammonia, that way you can precisely control the amount.

Hmmm where do you get pure ammonia?

I can see the next Q now. How can I tell?
Shake the $h!t out of the bottle then look inside. Surface bubbles should disappear immediately if no surfactants present. Bubbles = not good.

Back
Top Bottom