No BIO-wheel and other concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to thank everyone for their excellent advice and support. Here is a quick summary of my situation:

1. This is my first tank.

2. My tank will be a fish only tank to start out with, but I would like to add some living rock, coral, and live plants later.

3. I would like to have a clownfish (Nemo), a Blue Tang (Dory), and a fish that looks like a shark (I hope this does not minimize how serious you take me, because this tank is really for my son -- but I am extremely committed to creating the best possible habitat for my fish). His 3 year birthday is in a month, and we hope to have the tank ready for at least one of these fish on this birthday.

4. The tank is a 55 gallon acrylic with a Magnum 350 canister filter, Red Sea's Prizm skimmer, 200W Visi-therm heater, light, cover, and 40 pounds of medium crushed coral.

Now I have a few more questions about setting up my tank:

1. I returned the BIO-wheel, because it would not fit on my tank. Is my current filtration system good enough, or is the BIO-wheel required. I do not want to add living rock yet, but I would like to add a significant amount of dead coral and rocks to provide more surface area for the good bacteria to grow. Is this OK, or do I need more bio-filtering? Does adding an air pump help? Is there anything that I can do? I may be able to fit a small BIO-wheel on my tank now, do you have any recommendations?

2. I have leveled my tank stand, and I put a very thin rubbery material between the tank and the stand. I was told that this will help ensure that the tank is perfectly level and relieve any stress points caused by an uneven surface on the stand. Is this a good idea, or will it cause other problems?

3. I would like to start the cycle process with the "raw shrimp" technique, because it seems to be the most human way without chemicals. How many shrimp do I need, and how long do I leave them in there?

Thanks again for helping me out!

tony3 said:
3. I would like to have a clownfish (Nemo), a Blue Tang (Dory), and a fish that looks like a shark (I hope this does not minimize how serious you take me, because this tank is really for my son -- but I am extremely committed to creating the best possible habitat for my fish). His 3 year birthday is in a month, and we hope to have the tank ready for at least one of these fish on this birthday.
As far as a shark look-alike for a saltwater tank that isn't actualy a shark I am unsure of what to recommend. Hit your local library and check out a marine atlas. Any of these books are a great place to start. (and not just for fish) If you want this ready to go in a month you need to keep in mind how long cycling may take.

4. The tank is a 55 gallon acrylic with a Magnum 350 canister filter, Red Sea's Prizm skimmer, 200W Visi-therm heater, light, cover, and 40 pounds of medium crushed coral.
I think you're off to a good start for a FO setup.

Is my current filtration system good enough, or is the BIO-wheel required. I do not want to add living rock yet, but I would like to add a significant amount of dead coral and rocks to provide more surface area for the good bacteria to grow. Is this OK, or do I need more bio-filtering? Does adding an air pump help? Is there anything that I can do? I may be able to fit a small BIO-wheel on my tank now, do you have any recommendations?
LR would certainly help a great deal in filtering. Why did you want to hold off on this, is it budget or another reason? A lot of people go with a FOWLR setup (fish only with live rock) that uses LS and LR and those alone perform 90% of the filtration needed but your cost is a little bit more because of the LR.

I put a very thin rubbery material between the tank and the stand.
I've never seen this done personaly, but I also don't see it causing any problems...

3. I would like to start the cycle process with the "raw shrimp" technique, because it seems to be the most human way without chemicals. How many shrimp do I need, and how long do I leave them in there?
for a 55 gallon FO you shouldn't need more than 1 medium sized cocktail shrimp (about 1" to 1-1/2" diameter)

Back
Top Bottom