no cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am starting 100gal. I am getting 40-50 lbs LR from established tank and 10 lbs loaded with critters LS from my nano, plus 100+ lbs old castle . The LR will be out of the water for seconds and the LS will be syphoned straight into new tank. Will I even have a cycle? If not (which is what I believe) can I just acclimate my nano inhabitants and transfer to new tank? That would be sweet!

you may get a small cycle. only because your DSB will be mostly new sand (is that correct?) (besure you put your LS on top of the oldcastle). Depending on how many critters you're moving into the new tank, the tank may have an adjustment period where ammonia may spike. you might have a short cycle, but I think you might still have one.

P.S. you plan on putting in more LR that 50lbs right? I'd go with 150 to 200 lbs LR+BR all together

I used around 100lbs of established rock with new water and I only had a small cycle went to like 1 for not even a week then nothing so.I'd say some stress zyme might help also

you may get a small cycle. only because your DSB will be mostly new sand (is that correct?)
correct.
you plan on putting in more LR that 50lbs right? I'd go with 150 to 200 lbs LR+BR all together
Oh ya. Sorry didn't mention that I will be adding more. Just that the inital 50lbs wasn't planned or I would have put it all in at the same time. I may just put the 50lbs in a Rubbermaid with PH, heater, lights for a few weeks until I can get the other LR. Just don't want to rush things, want it done right the first time around.

Just don't want to rush things, want it done right the first time around.
Thats the best way to do things.

So it sounds like you have a good plan, my only additional caution now is the new LR. If you use a lot of new LR (not BR) then depending on the rock and the amount of die-off when you add it, the LR itself could cause a cycle. So just be cautious with that aspect.

If you have to purchase additional LR later due to budget (we've all been there) simply Cure the LR in a seperate container before adding it to your tank. There's an article in our Articles Section that talks about curing LR.

Back
Top Bottom