No cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm super new to saltwater tanks, and I just started up my first. It's a 38 gallon, and I've had it up and running since March 12. So far, I've put in 40 lb. of live sand, as well as 15 blue leg crabs, four small damselfish, and a 5 lb. piece of live rock to cycle it. I added Biozyme for the first week as well to help the cycle along. What I'm confused about is that I was told that I should see a big nitrite spike within two or so weeks. But everything checks out perfectly fine. The critters are happy and my nitrite, ammonia, and pH haven't fluctuated. I was wondering if this is normal or if a big spike up is to be expected soon. I was told that sometimes live sand can eliminate a lot of the cycle process, but I have no idea how this stuff works. I want to add in my critters, but don't want to put them in and risk losing them due to water issues. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. - I'm going to be removing the damsels once I decide to add in other critters.

-Shannon

The critters are happy and my nitrite, ammonia, and pH haven't fluctuated.

What are thre test readings for nitrite and ammonia? If they are at 0 than its possible you avoided the cycle by adding quality live sand and the biozyme.

I hope your store takes the damsels back. If they dont I cant condone removing them as that would imply deliberate killing of them.

I had the same thing happen when I set my 90 gallon up. I used liveaquaria's Fiji LR to cycle the tank. I never had a trace of ammonia or nitrite even with a couple shrimp rotting in the tank. Just nitrate formation. Have now had a couple of maroon clowns in the tank for about 2 weeks and all is well. Pretty cool :)

My nitrite and ammonia are at 0. And the store I work at does take the fish back, so no worries, they'll get good homes. :) Would I be best off waiting a little longer, or can I start to add critters to my tank? I'd probably start off with a true percula clownfish.

I dont believe it has cycled. I`m not a fan of cycling live fish. It is cruel and unusual punishment. You should have read up on fishless cycle. It`s under articles on this site. The person that sold you them should read it too. Sorry if I sound harsh but we need to pass the word. By the way welcome to AA :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile:

Back
Top Bottom