Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
no longer tankless

Well, I went to a persons house last night and all of a sudden he asks me "would you take these tanks off of my hands for free. I am moving and can't take care of them any more."

Well, I felt like a real rescue hero! He had 2 tanks that were well over 2 years old. One had a CBS and a snail in it while the other had a blue legged hermit crab in it. That was the good part!

The tanks are 7 and 10 gallons respectively but I have neve sen the attrocity that was these tanks. It looked like he didn't clean them for MONTHS. I was in a state of shock to see what the one tank looked like.

Well, I got them home and cleaned up one of the tanks and slid everything into it (acclimating all the inverts VERY slowly over 3 hours) and started working on the worst tank ever.

I have never seen algae growth on a tank that came off in 1/10" thick sheets! I nearly gagged! The sand was black and when it got moved it stank to high ****. The live rock (and I use that term loosely) had so much bubble algae on it that I could make a bubble wall across the back of the tank! So basically the rock he selected made it next to impossible to get all tha algae off so I have to let the rock dry out and potentially start from scratch with it all. I am quite serious with the amount of algae on it!

Though, once I got the 7 gallon setup (I think it is closer to 8 though) the CBS was all over the place, the blue hermit was just a rockin about and the snail (I believe a turbo snail) was all over the place as well. Mushroom corals (green on top) have started to peek out and feather dusters are starting to come out of hiding (some have some nicely maturing growths).

The only concern that I had was that I think I saw some very your bristle worms and then some unknown white bugs in the tank. I am assuming that they were pods of soem variety but they didn't look shrimp like so I wasn't sure. They seemed to be crawling over the rock instead of swimming. roundish to tear shaped. Any ideas to these?

I am not too concerned about the bristle worms as they are a scavenger living in he rock and substrate. I thought that they weren't there when I rinsed out the substrate with old tank water but i guess I was mistaken.

So the 7 gallon is up and running with about 10 pounds of LR in it. What fish could I put in this? I have a few ideas but wanted to see some options. I would like to put up to 2 fish in this. I am sure that is stretching it, but lets see what you come up with.

Lunchbox ... "i'm a man, but i can change, if i have to, i guess"

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Leader of Men
I wish someone would just give me a tank!

I'm not sure what to suggest as far as putting into it but best of luck with the new tanks!

Leader of Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I am glad to hear that you have some tanks again! I don't know much about saltwater stocking, but good luck with them!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Congrats on the new tanks. It sounds as if they were horrible. As you know I am a freshie and can't help with the SW side but you know the others will be along shortly to help.
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I'm still new to the salty side of life, but there are some smaller fish on liveaquaria. A couple of purple firefish or regular firefish (make sure there is a lid on the tank). Purely ornamental.

Too bad the tank was in such bad repair.. Melev's Reef - Visual Identification is a great way to ID things. Bristle worms are a free clean up crew, just don't try to pet them. (if you get hit by one, use duct tape to pull out the bristles.)
120 Gal SW, 150lbs Prem. Fiji, 23Gal Sump, 2x250w 15K MH, 4x65w Actinic
3 x Halichoeres Chrysus (1 surfed), 3 x Nemateleotris magnifica, 1 x Centropyge bicolor, 11 x Scarlet Hermits, 6 x Zebra Hermits, 40 x Astrea Snails, 6 x Nassarius Snails, 3 x Cerith Snails
Wizzard~Of~Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote

long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com