No3 levels too high!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oc Robbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I might have messed my tank up . My 55ltr nano has been going for the last 3 months other that the initial cycle lasting 6 weeks the parameters had been fine .
I done a couple of things at the weekend. I moved live rock from another nano to this one using drip method. I also added a red ball sponge .
No3 has been up at 4ppm for the last week . Two 25% water changes & very little change .
1. The sponge seems to be going white . Flow is good & so is light . Could the no3 be the issue with that?

2. I take it just keep water changing to reduce the no3?

3. Added a new protein skimmer will that help ?

I'm not that experienced with marine just learning the hard way .
Use to do tropical but just love marine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

got a chuckle there . Ok when swapping rock over you don't need to drip acclimate,
the rock you swapped over how were the parameters in that tank , reason I ask is rocks can carry over nitrates/phosphates , also just stirring things up could cause the rise also ,
I would try doing several 50% water changes to bring things down ,
the red ball sponge you added did it ever hit air in other words come out of the water at anytime

All parameters had been good in both tanks . Drip method on live rock .... Doh ;)
I think moving everything about caused a rise for sure .

The red sponge wasn't exposed too air at all . I was so sure not to let that happen . Do you think it could survive or just get rid now before it starts to leak crap in my tank ?

I wouldn't even bat an eye if my Nitrates were at 4. Not to worry, even SPS would be ok with that.
If you stirred up the tank a bit, that would have released some detritus stuck somewhere in the tank, and cause a lil spike. Should not be of any worry.
I think moving the Sponge might have ticked em off. That and possibly the 2 tanks water params might not have been exactly identical.

Yeah sponge is dead ... I think you're right about the parameters & it's just fading away.
Anyway no3 was 2 last night & im ok with that .
Kh was alittle low at 6.5! Buffering that up to 9 over the next couple of days .
Got to love reef aquariums . So much to keep an eye on .

Back
Top Bottom