Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

noisy aquarium

My 75 gallon SW tank makes a loud gurgling noise. Any suggestions on why or how to lower the noise level?

Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I assume it is the overflow? What type of overflow are you using? Do a goggle search for the Durso standpipe or the stockman standpipe.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
You can lower a bit of airline tubing down the drain line on the overflow. This will allow a way for the drain line to 'breath'. This should quite the gurgling somewhat. When you find a point where its quitest then secure the airline tubing to the side of the overflow so it does not go down further.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The problem is definitely with the overflow. I have a 75 gallon Oceanic reef ready aquarium. The overflow pipe came with the setup and is an open webbed plastic its full length. The durso or stockman standpipe might be the answer. I'll certainly give it a try, better choice than getting rid of my tank!!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr0315
The problem is definitely with the overflow. I have a 75 gallon Oceanic reef ready aquarium. The overflow pipe came with the setup and is an open webbed plastic its full length. The durso or stockman standpipe might be the answer. I'll certainly give it a try, better choice than getting rid of my tank!!
Durso is definitely the way to go. Buy em or make your own but don't get rid of the tank.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
Avi
Aquarium Advice Activist

Using Durso or Stockman Standpipes depends on whether your overflows are in a reef ready tank or the hang-on type....Durso told me that. I have the hang-ons and made the Stockman type as he told me I ought to and the overflows are literally completely silent now. After you make them, the size of the hole on the top cap is critical in making them so silent and you'll have to try different drill bits where the difference in size is so small you wouldn't believe it could make a difference...but it does.

Tags
noisy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com