noisy aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjr0315

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 75 gallon SW tank makes a loud gurgling noise. Any suggestions on why or how to lower the noise level?

I assume it is the overflow? What type of overflow are you using? Do a goggle search for the Durso standpipe or the stockman standpipe.

You can lower a bit of airline tubing down the drain line on the overflow. This will allow a way for the drain line to 'breath'. This should quite the gurgling somewhat. When you find a point where its quitest then secure the airline tubing to the side of the overflow so it does not go down further.

The problem is definitely with the overflow. I have a 75 gallon Oceanic reef ready aquarium. The overflow pipe came with the setup and is an open webbed plastic its full length. The durso or stockman standpipe might be the answer. I'll certainly give it a try, better choice than getting rid of my tank!!

mjr0315 said:
The problem is definitely with the overflow. I have a 75 gallon Oceanic reef ready aquarium. The overflow pipe came with the setup and is an open webbed plastic its full length. The durso or stockman standpipe might be the answer. I'll certainly give it a try, better choice than getting rid of my tank!!

Durso is definitely the way to go. Buy em or make your own but don't get rid of the tank. :eek:

Using Durso or Stockman Standpipes depends on whether your overflows are in a reef ready tank or the hang-on type....Durso told me that. I have the hang-ons and made the Stockman type as he told me I ought to and the overflows are literally completely silent now. After you make them, the size of the hole on the top cap is critical in making them so silent and you'll have to try different drill bits where the difference in size is so small you wouldn't believe it could make a difference...but it does.

Back
Top Bottom