Non-Boring Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ICEnVy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, they are not necassarily "boring" they are still beautiful, but my fish don't do much but like stay in the same spot aallllll day everyday! Anyone know a more active fish that would be compatible with my other tank inhabitants?

I'll betcha it's the cardinals that's gotcha feeling this way. They ARE boring IMO. Some are beautiful though, don't get me wrong. It's just that they only sit there.

You need a couple of blue/green chromis. Maybe 3 if your tank can handle it. They swim out front a lot and may draw others out more too. How are your 'trates? Oh, yeah, I'd also add some more hermits. How old is your tank?

I agree with the rest, but I would tend to do the Chromis, since you are recovering from a nitrAte spike. Wait on the tang until you have some experience. I hope you don't think I am talking down to you, I would like to see you happy and not stressed, over the whole situation. BTW, how are those nitrAtes looking?

I enjoy the way wrasses & clowns swim - not as boring...

For real personality, Royal Grammas, jawfish...

I would like to agree that the Kole Tang would bring a lot of excitement to your tank, and for a 55 gallon he will be a great addition.

Oddly enough my PJs are more active then all the others, which is why you can maybe see how my tank must be really boring. My firefish always stays in one spot behind the rocks, my true perc never moves from the one anemone (not even to eat), and my damsel is so shy he never comes out..... my PJs at least move around and dash from here to there sometimes lol. And my scooter blenny is probably the coolest. My Nitrates are at about 40 right now, and I am doing another pwc tomorrow of 50% I figure that should do the job. I am just cautious of what fish to get because the last one I got was very active (another damsel but larger) and he attacked all my fish all day everyday and it took me a week to get him out of my tank (blagh). And then the LFS likes to try and sell me stuff that will eat or kill things in my tank (gawsh, I love that store). I like wrasses, but I thought they were agressive, no? So out of the responses a kole tang or chromis would be the best bet. Now chromis like to be in schools of 3 or more right? so what would that do for my nitrate problems? Thanks you guys.

My tank is 8 months old.
I had like 10 hermits and 5 turbo snails too, but they seemed to slowly disappear.

To me your tank probably could only hold one more fish and it needs to be a fish that should be the last one in. Yellow eyed Kole tang to the rescue. Also about your hermits and crabs they will disapear with high nitrates over an extended time. Good Luck

I looked up the kole tang and I got this:
"Characteristics & Compatibility: Even though the Kole Tang is one of the less aggressive Surgeonfishes, it will battle with its own kind, and possibly with close relatives. Because it is less aggressive it may also be picked on by other, more aggressive Surgeonfishes. For this reason it is best kept singly, one per tank, but it does make a good choice when it comes to compatibility with other more docile, non-related species. To reduce compatibility problems, if you decide to put this fish together it generally helps to introduced them into the aquarium at the same time. Like all Surgeonfishes, the Kole has a very sharp spur or razor by the tail. It may seem small, but it can inflict a pretty nasty cut. Therefore, use caution when handling this fish. When attacking other fish, they extend the spine near their tail and attempt to slash the other fish with it. Hence the common family name of Surgeonfish."

Thats scary lol. With the mean damsel all he did was bite their tails, so what would I do if I got one of these and he hurt my other fish? Is he more likely not to get along with my other inhabitant because he is new? Is there a special way to introduce a new fish? I got all my others at the same time, so I am a little worried.

Dont be worried. The yellow eyed Kole tang is a very good fish. I had one for 7 yrs and they are pretty hardy fish and yours will be OK provided they dont attack him. I never had problem with mine.

Crabs and stuff died 'cause of the nitrates I'll betcha. Need to findsd the source of that before you add anythig else IMO. Describe your system - substrate, filtration, etc.

Well my nitrates are at about 20 now. Is that ok? All my system stuff is in 'my info'. I think part of my problem might have been not cleaning the substrate..... I didn't know how or that I was suppose to until the last pwc :| I think another problem might be that I was out of state for 6 weeks and I tried to explain to my mom how to do a pwc, but she informed me tonight that she only did one because it was too much for her..... so could that be another cause of high nitrates? So how long should I wait to add the kole tang? in a week if the nitrate levels seem to be stable?

Just check every 2 days and if it is stable and under 20 then you should be OK. Also have the LFS feed the Kole tang and make sure he is eating before you get him.

Back
Top Bottom