Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Non-Boring Fish?

Ok, they are not necassarily "boring" they are still beautiful, but my fish don't do much but like stay in the same spot aallllll day everyday! Anyone know a more active fish that would be compatible with my other tank inhabitants?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'll betcha it's the cardinals that's gotcha feeling this way. They ARE boring IMO. Some are beautiful though, don't get me wrong. It's just that they only sit there.

You need a couple of blue/green chromis. Maybe 3 if your tank can handle it. They swim out front a lot and may draw others out more too. How are your 'trates? Oh, yeah, I'd also add some more hermits. How old is your tank?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I think a yellow tang or a Kole tang would be a good lively addition.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

55g tank. Maybe a kole.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest, but I would tend to do the Chromis, since you are recovering from a nitrAte spike. Wait on the tang until you have some experience. I hope you don't think I am talking down to you, I would like to see you happy and not stressed, over the whole situation. BTW, how are those nitrAtes looking?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I enjoy the way wrasses & clowns swim - not as boring...

For real personality, Royal Grammas, jawfish...
squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
I would like to agree that the Kole Tang would bring a lot of excitement to your tank, and for a 55 gallon he will be a great addition.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #8

Oddly enough my PJs are more active then all the others, which is why you can maybe see how my tank must be really boring. My firefish always stays in one spot behind the rocks, my true perc never moves from the one anemone (not even to eat), and my damsel is so shy he never comes out..... my PJs at least move around and dash from here to there sometimes lol. And my scooter blenny is probably the coolest. My Nitrates are at about 40 right now, and I am doing another pwc tomorrow of 50% I figure that should do the job. I am just cautious of what fish to get because the last one I got was very active (another damsel but larger) and he attacked all my fish all day everyday and it took me a week to get him out of my tank (blagh). And then the LFS likes to try and sell me stuff that will eat or kill things in my tank (gawsh, I love that store). I like wrasses, but I thought they were agressive, no? So out of the responses a kole tang or chromis would be the best bet. Now chromis like to be in schools of 3 or more right? so what would that do for my nitrate problems? Thanks you guys.

My tank is 8 months old.
I had like 10 hermits and 5 turbo snails too, but they seemed to slowly disappear.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

To me your tank probably could only hold one more fish and it needs to be a fish that should be the last one in. Yellow eyed Kole tang to the rescue. Also about your hermits and crabs they will disapear with high nitrates over an extended time. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #10

I looked up the kole tang and I got this:
"Characteristics & Compatibility: Even though the Kole Tang is one of the less aggressive Surgeonfishes, it will battle with its own kind, and possibly with close relatives. Because it is less aggressive it may also be picked on by other, more aggressive Surgeonfishes. For this reason it is best kept singly, one per tank, but it does make a good choice when it comes to compatibility with other more docile, non-related species. To reduce compatibility problems, if you decide to put this fish together it generally helps to introduced them into the aquarium at the same time. Like all Surgeonfishes, the Kole has a very sharp spur or razor by the tail. It may seem small, but it can inflict a pretty nasty cut. Therefore, use caution when handling this fish. When attacking other fish, they extend the spine near their tail and attempt to slash the other fish with it. Hence the common family name of Surgeonfish."

Thats scary lol. With the mean damsel all he did was bite their tails, so what would I do if I got one of these and he hurt my other fish? Is he more likely not to get along with my other inhabitant because he is new? Is there a special way to introduce a new fish? I got all my others at the same time, so I am a little worried.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com