non drilled 55 bow front tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rngrjt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well guys i have a few question about my 55 gal tank. I have a 90 gallon FOWLR that is pre-drilled. With that said, my question are about my 55 gal in which i want to make a reef tank. The 55 gal isnt predrilled. I know i am going to need some kinda filtration like a sump. Looking on line i couldnt find any over-the-back over flow box which would allow me to place wet/dry sump under my tank. Any help would be great.
The other equipment i have currently for this tank are a over the back filter (added filtration not intended to be my primary filtration) a heater, and a few power heads to push water. i am also trying to upgrade my lighting from the freshwater light and hood that origanaly came with the tank.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Looking on line i couldnt find any over-the-back over flow box which would allow me to place wet/dry sump under my tank
They are pretty easy to find. Look in online aquarium shops for external overflows or just check ebay.

canisters run on there own without a OF box, and a wet/dry needs a overflow box. I would go with a OF box and sump. If your using live rock a wet dry is not needed and a sump is a better choice.

i was thinking of using a sump as well, just wanted more feed back on the canisters... i will be adding live rock. i am thinking of using Tonga Branch Live Rock and tonga self rock to hold the differnt type of corals and stuff. I dont really know what all i want to put in the tank as far as corals go, i just know i want a active tank with lots of color. So right now i am trying to map out what i need to buy. The water is almost cycled and i want to purchase all the proper material and items i may not of thought about. My budget is about 1200 and i know i need lights, rock, a sump along with a skimmer. So lets go guys help me out.. thanks..

Welcome to AA. :)

Canister filters are fine for use with fish only systems, but can become nitrate factories, aka nitrate timebombs when used in reef systems. LR is the BEST choice and that seems to be what you are intending anyway. The LR will take care of your biological filtration needs (1.5 lbs per gallon is a good place to start) but you'll want a good skimmer to supplement your LR.

You mentioned that your cycle is almost done, which is both a good thing and bad. It's good because you are a step closer to getting living things in there, but also bad cause it may be a little more challenging now.

I say that because you are talking about incorporating a sump and that my be a challenge with a tank already full of water. It's always easier to do all your plumbing in a garage or outside and test it for leaks with freshwater and make adjustments from there without the spouse giving you grief for soaking the livingroom floor. :)

Also, you will also re-start your cycle when you introduce your LR if it's not cured already. If you;re buying LR online, it definetely won't be cured. If you are buying it from a LFS, then it will have needed to be in their tank for at least 4 weeks to be considered cured.

If you place uncured rock into your pre-cycled tank, it needs to go through the whole process again to deal with all the die-off/waste the new LR places into the system. Kind of a back to square one thing.

You could however cure the rock in sepererate containers, but you'll still be waiting on the rock before you can start stocking your main tank anyway.

Make sure that whatever you do, you do it slowly and don't rush things in the beginning... it's hard to wait for it all, I know from my own experience, but it is important that everything gets started right for the longterm success of your aquarium.

what do you guys think of this for my 55 gal.. remember its goin to be a reef tank and i want to be able to support whatever type of corals i decide to add its a 36 long by the way

https://www.petsolutions.com/Outer+Orbit+HQI+Fixture-I-42901040-I-C-40001736-C-.aspx

this is the sump i was thinking about getting... either the model 2 or 3 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13648

with this over flow box
https://www.petsolutions.com/CPR+300+GPH+Continuous+Siphon-I-46304581-I-C-26-C-.aspx

current this tank has very little rock in it so i was thinking about 36 lbs of
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=414 along with
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=401
so what do you guys think... i need a good skimmer as well... can you guys help recommend anything else i may need or want to think about... i really want to get it all now well i have my wifes approval and the cash.. thanks a bunch guys..

36 long?? A 55 is 48" long... Is this a custom tank?

LR I would go with no less then 1 lb per gallon to start, if the rock is dense I would go with 1.5-2 lbs per gallon. Remember that the LR is going to be the MAIN filtration for the tank

Back
Top Bottom