Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

noob

hey everyone I was wondering what i needed to start up a salt water aquarium....now keep in mind i'm on college budget. I have a 10 gallon that i used to use for freshwater and I wanted to change it from freshwater to salt water since my fish died

Old 08-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Personally, I wouldn't keep a tank smaller than a 29 gal. I might use a 20 gal for a species tank, but even that is small. I am in college, and my tank has put me in some credit card debt, but it is worth it to me.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
You are asking for a ton of work and prob more expense in the long run. I would say watch the classifieds or likewise for a bigger tank. There is a thing here called the penny saver that I see tanks in all the time for next to nothing.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

tiny saltwater tanks are for experienced salt people.
keep the tank as freshwater, and put a betta in there, maybe a few java ferns or cryptocrynes.
A college budget isn't going to build a good salt tank. If you had issues keeping your freshwater fish healthy, saltwater is NOT for you...yet.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I doubt you will have much luck with a ten gallon and a college budget. but you can always try!

I wanted a SW tank really bad when I was in college but I decided to wait. and boy was I glad!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For what it is worth....I got a 32gal s/w aquarium in April 2000. I would say that I am cheep and hardly spend much on my tank. None the less this is what it costed me over the last couple of years:

2000 = $642.23 new lights, filters, live rock, etc. The fish were the cheapest part except the tank which was free
2001 = $ 88.40 I can't believe I spent so little.
2002 = $153.78 new heater, new lights, new test kits, etc.
2003 = $406.31 I started to add coral to my tank...

Even a medium tank 30-55gal is cheap compared to the maintenance costs.

But Hookman is right it is well worth it.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamemnon
For what it is worth....I got a 32gal s/w aquarium in April 2000. I would say that I am cheep and hardly spend much on my tank. None the less this is what it costed me over the last couple of years:

2000 = $642.23 new lights, filters, live rock, etc. The fish were the cheapest part except the tank which was free
2001 = $ 88.40 I can't believe I spent so little.
2002 = $153.78 new heater, new lights, new test kits, etc.
2003 = $406.31 I started to add coral to my tank...

Even a medium tank 30-55gal is cheap compared to the maintenance costs.

But Hookman is right it is well worth it.
Um, I can't believe you actually know those numbers!!! You are by FAR a better record keeper than I!!! Congrats...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sure you can find a cheap 29 gal.. that would be your best bet as a starter tank.

Having said that, you should probably make your first purchase a good SW book. It will tell you what kind of equipment you need for the kind of tank you want, and then you can check prices on the net. You may well find that it's a lot more expensive than you imagined. Infact, you WILL. I'm pretty sure everyone here has spent a lot more than they ever thought they would.

If I was you, I wouldn't take the plunge until you figure out if you can afford the initial setup AND maintenance costs.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
research research research. that way you know what you are getting into.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
tiny saltwater tanks are for experienced salt people.
keep the tank as freshwater, and put a betta in there, maybe a few java ferns or cryptocrynes.
A college budget isn't going to build a good salt tank. If you had issues keeping your freshwater fish healthy, saltwater is NOT for you...yet.
my fish died on accident

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com