noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

methos11299

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone I was wondering what i needed to start up a salt water aquarium....now keep in mind i'm on college budget. I have a 10 gallon that i used to use for freshwater and I wanted to change it from freshwater to salt water since my fish died :(

Personally, I wouldn't keep a tank smaller than a 29 gal. I might use a 20 gal for a species tank, but even that is small. I am in college, and my tank has put me in some credit card debt, but it is worth it to me.

You are asking for a ton of work and prob more expense in the long run. I would say watch the classifieds or likewise for a bigger tank. There is a thing here called the penny saver that I see tanks in all the time for next to nothing.

tiny saltwater tanks are for experienced salt people.
keep the tank as freshwater, and put a betta in there, maybe a few java ferns or cryptocrynes.
A college budget isn't going to build a good salt tank. If you had issues keeping your freshwater fish healthy, saltwater is NOT for you...yet.

I doubt you will have much luck with a ten gallon and a college budget. but you can always try!

I wanted a SW tank really bad when I was in college but I decided to wait. and boy was I glad!

For what it is worth....I got a 32gal s/w aquarium in April 2000. I would say that I am cheep and hardly spend much on my tank. None the less this is what it costed me over the last couple of years:

2000 = $642.23 new lights, filters, live rock, etc. The fish were the cheapest part except the tank which was free :D
2001 = $ 88.40 I can't believe I spent so little.
2002 = $153.78 new heater, new lights, new test kits, etc.
2003 = $406.31 I started to add coral to my tank...

Even a medium tank 30-55gal is cheap compared to the maintenance costs.

But Hookman is right it is well worth it.

Aquamemnon said:
For what it is worth....I got a 32gal s/w aquarium in April 2000. I would say that I am cheep and hardly spend much on my tank. None the less this is what it costed me over the last couple of years:

2000 = $642.23 new lights, filters, live rock, etc. The fish were the cheapest part except the tank which was free :D
2001 = $ 88.40 I can't believe I spent so little.
2002 = $153.78 new heater, new lights, new test kits, etc.
2003 = $406.31 I started to add coral to my tank...

Even a medium tank 30-55gal is cheap compared to the maintenance costs.

But Hookman is right it is well worth it.

Um, I can't believe you actually know those numbers!!! You are by FAR a better record keeper than I!!! Congrats...

I'm sure you can find a cheap 29 gal.. that would be your best bet as a starter tank.

Having said that, you should probably make your first purchase a good SW book. It will tell you what kind of equipment you need for the kind of tank you want, and then you can check prices on the net. You may well find that it's a lot more expensive than you imagined. Infact, you WILL. I'm pretty sure everyone here has spent a lot more than they ever thought they would.

If I was you, I wouldn't take the plunge until you figure out if you can afford the initial setup AND maintenance costs.

malkore said:
tiny saltwater tanks are for experienced salt people.
keep the tank as freshwater, and put a betta in there, maybe a few java ferns or cryptocrynes.
A college budget isn't going to build a good salt tank. If you had issues keeping your freshwater fish healthy, saltwater is NOT for you...yet.

my fish died on accident :(

Marine fishkeeping involves a very large initial outlay, and then much smaller running costs. As a student, usually it is the initial set-up that prohibits us from starting. 10 gallons can be done, but it is much much harder than say a 29 gallon or 55 gallon because there is so little stability. But spend a couple minutes pricing stuff out online, and as Atari suggested buy a book - they are worth their weight in gold several times over. An absolute must is this book The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - By Robert Fenner really really helpful!

Back
Top Bottom