noob - need some clarification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok nice board!!

I had some fresh water tanks year back when i was middle/high school. i was even able to breed bettas on my own.

my mom liek my tank so much we got a family 36 gallon one and had that for a while

so i do have some experience.....

Now i have alway wanted to get salt water, the baeuty of the fish and coral and planets and things
32.gif

1. I have been told by a few people that once a salt tank is up running and esablished they are easier to take care of
The one thing i hated in the fresh water was having to use that siphon vaccum thing to clean the rocks HUGE PAIN hated it

2. are coral and reef the same thing or different types of tanks? internet seems to use these terms loosely

3. I have read that Larger tanks are better to start with for salt, i know myself that if i got a small tank i would want a larger tank soon, i was thinking somewhere in the 50-75 range, good?

4. i seen the 50GAL system II tanks that petco and others have seem to be a good start and the pump and everything is integrated, and not in the tank, but sometimes that bad.

5. I would like, as much as possible, heater, filters, skimmers, not to be in the tank, in my fresh water tanks i hated that a lot.

6 i realize this it going to be expensive and plan to plan and save until july then buy i plan on about 1500 for set up and I was told by the local fish store you can only add i fish per week so i'll get those as i have money

7. Are there things ,plants/fish, i can get to limit maintenance?

thank for your time

Welcome to AA!

1) Not true that SW is easier. They require their own maintenance routines and diligence is a must.

2) Yes, typically these two terms refer to the same thing, a tank with corals and fish.

3) That is a good range. Larger is better because the larger water volume is more forgiving to mistakes.

4) Dunno what system you're referring to

5) SW tanks use a system called a sump to allow you to not have that equipment in the tank. You will, however, need some up in the tank for water circulation.

6) You'll need to cycle the tank before adding anything to it - fish, corals, inverts, etc. Read the article in my sig for details.

7) You can get what's known as a CUC (Clean up crew) to help keep things looking better, but you'll still need weekly maintenance to keep it looking nice and growing healthy.

Welcome to AA!

1) Not true that SW is easier. They require their own maintenance routines and diligence is a must.

2) Yes, typically these two terms refer to the same thing, a tank with corals and fish.

3) That is a good range. Larger is better because the larger water volume is more forgiving to mistakes.

4) Dunno what system you're referring to

5) SW tanks use a system called a sump to allow you to not have that equipment in the tank. You will, however, need some up in the tank for water circulation.

6) You'll need to cycle the tank before adding anything to it - fish, corals, inverts, etc. Read the article in my sig for details.

7) You can get what's known as a CUC (Clean up crew) to help keep things looking better, but you'll still need weekly maintenance to keep it looking nice and growing healthy.
yeah i know it cycled, forgot to put in there.

do you have a quick run down of the maintainace? like over a month

the only thing that would really be a deal breaker for me is if i have to do that siphoning thing again! evey once in a while is okay but jeez every 10 days in my old 10 gallon ans every month in the larger one SUCKED

this is thank i was looking at this tank

SeaClear System II Aquarium Combos at PETCO

only larger (just can't find the one i was looking at right now )

i also like the marineland tank with corner flow, any good?

For me in a month, I do 1 or 2 water changes, Every few days check the nitrate level and Calcium level. I also spend a bit of time making sure theirs nothing missing, although you do this when you watch it. I also make sure that the lights are working, Power heads are working, Nothing is leaking, And also every 2 days feed the fish. Its not as hard as it sounds.
About your syphon hatred. Have you tried Python Syphon tubes? They have a hose that goes to the sink to fill/Remove water.
Where are you located? Their probably is a local club that could get you a tank for around 500 including the filter/sump and possibly lighting. These are alot larger as well. For example on a forum around me theirs a 90 gallon Reef tank with sump minus lighting for 300. Its alot cheaper used and you learn a thing from the people. Also look for a Local fish store that has alot of experience.
The only thing is with glass, Their is a greenish tinge after about an inch of glass( Not counting Starphire which doesnt have as much a tinge).

For me in a month, I do 1 or 2 water changes, Every few days check the nitrate level and Calcium level. I also spend a bit of time making sure theirs nothing missing, although you do this when you watch it. I also make sure that the lights are working, Power heads are working, Nothing is leaking, And also every 2 days feed the fish. Its not as hard as it sounds.
buy water changes you just drain some off the top and add new right? no siphing the bottom ?

Forgot to say , Welcome to Aquarium Advice.
Well that will get the Leftover food and fish poo out which will keep the water cleaner. You dont need to do the whole sand area, just where the poo, Junk is. Speaking of water, Also every few days add some more water to replace the evaporation. Do you have an RO (Reverse Osmosis)filter? What state are you in/ Country are you in?

About your syphon hatred. Have you tried Python Syphon tubes? They have a hose that goes to the sink to fill/Remove water.
Where are you located? Their probably is a local club that could get you a tank for around 500 including the filter/sump and possibly lighting. These are alot larger as well. For example on a forum around me theirs a 90 gallon Reef tank with sump minus lighting for 300. Its alot cheaper used and you learn a thing from the people. Also look for a Local fish store that has alot of experience.
The only thing is with glass, Their is a greenish tinge after about an inch of glass( Not counting Starphire which doesnt have as much a tinge).

Forgot to say , Welcome to Aquarium Advice.
Well that will get the Leftover food and fish poo out which will keep the water cleaner. You dont need to do the whole sand area, just where the poo, Junk is. Speaking of water, Also every few days add some more water to replace the evaporation. Do you have an RO (Reverse Osmosis)filter? What state are you in/ Country are you in?
i'm about 30minutes outside St louis on the IL side of the river

You really don't have to siphon the substrate (assuming you are using sand and not C). Some folks like to vacuum their sand every once in a while but if you have a good CUC that turns over the sand you should be good. I siphone some of the rock, just to get some of the gunk out but nothing major.

You really don't have to siphon the substrate (assuming you are using sand and not C). Some folks like to vacuum their sand every once in a while but if you have a good CUC that turns over the sand you should be good. I siphone some of the rock, just to get some of the gunk out but nothing major.
cool

CUC?

Clean up crew, your snails, urchins, hermits and such.
I like nassarius snails (they stir the sand), nerite and margarita snails, a conch (fighting). I'm not a huge fan of a lot of hermits.

cuc is your clean up crew. Chances are you'll get hooked on the salt water. You probably won't mind the maint cause is fun to tinker with the tank and try different things. I love working with my salt water tank. I found the fresh water a little boring and not near as interesting. The salt water is more work to get going but it gets better over time. The hardest part I'm having is how slow you have to take it. You can't just set it up and start adding things like you can with fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom