Noob Needs Gulf of Mexico Reef Biotope Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MLHoenig

Aquarium Advice Activist
:n00b: :confused:

I'm hoping to be able to replicate a south Texas/northern Mexico reef of some sort.

Working on a deal for a 55g tank...and considering the region in/around South Padre Island (my favorite deep-sea fishing spot)

Noobish questions:

1) Is it reasonable, if an aquarist is just getting started, to visit someplace related to a region which one is planning to replicate and bring home some sand & water?

2) What are some good resources (books, websites, et cetera) to learn about the Gulf Coast flora & fauna?

I'm planning on a slow build...can't break the double retiree family's fixed budget, and we started our NanoCube 29g back in early February.

Thanks in advance!

MLH

Normally collecting things from the shore comes covered in toxins...and is illegal.
To get started I would read up from whatever Texas' forestry equivalent would be for the area.
A build like this can be as simple or as difficult depending on what is going into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:thanks:

Normally collecting things from the shore comes covered in toxins...and is illegal.
To get started I would read up from whatever Texas' forestry equivalent would be for the area.
A build like this can be as simple or as difficult depending on what is going into it.

Being a noob, I'm not sure yet what critters I want to put in the tank, other than a "local" reef and colorful fish. Clean-up crew, of course...

Keeping it simple at first, since noobishness doesn't really allow for setting up too complex a biotope.

Probably have to locate a LFS down near SPI, I suppose... :ermm:

Found a pretty good deal on craigslist:

2-3yo 75g w/10g sump with bioballs, 48" LED light (Marineland? Will know tomorrow), return pump, durso drain, all piping & plumbing, for $200, here in Omaha.

Will be looking at it, and probably buying it tomrrow (4/17/15)

Good deal or not? Sounds good to me...

I plan on upgrading the light as soon as I can afford to...

Late June or mid-July, most likely, since it has to be cycled first...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, it's now drying out in my garage.

Soon as I sell my soon-to-be-on Omaha craigslist 37g tropical setup, this baby's gonna be moved indoors and beginning a few months of pre-cycling -- water only, with whatever's needed for Cu removal. It was a QT for the guy I bought it from...

My aquarium guy says it won't be a problem, but I'm gonna make sure, since I have plenty of time to get into the cycle; budgets just get in the way sometimes...

Hope to have the cycle started by Independence Day...

Thanks sniperhank!

Yeah; the more I read, the better I feel about having bought the setup.

(y)

Unfortunately, I miscalculated my wife's response; while she's not against the switch from midsize tropical to large marine, I pulled the trigger too quickly for our original plan.

:hide:

We were going to wait until July or so, but I felt that this kind of deal doesn't come around very often...

<edit> Fell through; not sure why </edit> The small tropical didn't even last one day on craigslist... I have a buyer coming over today (4/19) to pick it up for $75...probably could have sold it for $100 but want to get the space ready for the big guy! <edit> Buyer said only that she's not gonna make it today </edit>

Back
Top Bottom