Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a striated frogfish, he's about 2 1/2" maybe less, he's pretty small.

I cycled my tank using a dead jumbo shrimp with live sand, then added live rock once my salinity was where I wanted it, after about a day or two. Added 10 more pounds of LR each week there after, totaling 30lbs of LR thus far. I will add 10 more lbs of LR as suggested.

My tank doesn't have a heater, I live in california, and 11 months out of the year it's pretty hot, when I leave my house I keep the Air conditioner on at about 78 degrees.

I use a coralife deep six SG dipper.

parameters: temp 78 deg. nh3: 0 , no3:0 , no2:0 , ph:8.4 - I don't have test kits for calcium, alk, or phosphate yet , i plan on getting them tomorrow once i get paid :P (these results are as of last night may 29, 2007 @ ~ 8:00pm)

Surprisingly the maxi-jet 900 pushes a lot of water around, creating a pretty good surface ripple, I have it aimed at the HOB filter which pours water into the tank - so it collides and makes a pretty realistic current. I'll get another powerhead, maybe a weaker one to put on the other side. I'll post pics of my setup, I was surprised, when I bought the protein skimmer I was really affraid it may not fit with the millenium HOB filter - but seriously , there is about 1/8" between the skimmer and hob filter :P

I'm not sure about the wattage on my jebo lights - I explicity told the guy at the LFS that I needed good lights because I was going to go mostly reef, and he assured me they were lights that were reef worthy. They're definitely brighter than the tank identical to mine in his shop.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice! pics to come soon!

PICS ** Edit **
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0088_628.jpg (179.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg img_0087_204.jpg (30.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg img_0085_176.jpg (54.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg img_0089_174.jpg (56.2 KB, 26 views)

Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Like tecwzrd suggested, I would suggest another powerhead for extra movement. I have a 20 gallon nano reef with a hob filter (holds just lr) @ 280 pgh, two aquaclear 20's on each side facing each other @ 125 gph each, and a rena xp1 cannister filter (only holds chemi-pure) @ 250 gph and the movement is good. And my tank is open top for good gas exchange.

You will want to go back to your lfs and ask them how many watts the fixture is that they sold you. You can't really rely on how bright they look to you.

Also I'd get a heater just to keep your water temperature stable.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
Like tecwzrd suggested, I would suggest another powerhead for extra movement. I have a 20 gallon nano reef with a hob filter (holds just lr) @ 280 pgh, two aquaclear 20's on each side facing each other @ 125 gph each, and a rena xp1 cannister filter (only holds chemi-pure) @ 250 gph and the movement is good. And my tank is open top for good gas exchange.

You will want to go back to your lfs and ask them how many watts the fixture is that they sold you. You can't really rely on how bright they look to you.

Also I'd get a heater just to keep your water temperature stable.
Can I put chemi-pure and LR both in my HOB? I have chemipure in it right now
Old 05-31-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes just put some rubble in the space left over, make sure it's underwater.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Born and lived in La Jolla, CA for 21 years before moving to VA. I know just how stable the temps can be in CA but nights often drop down to 50-60 for at least 4 of those months and your tanks temp can swing 5+ degrees during the night with lights out. You're going to need a heater to keep temps from swinging more then 2 degrees in 24 hours and I wouldn't ever attempt any tank without one. 75-100W is fine and I like Titanium heaters which tend to be more reliable and not breakable like glass.

Your Frogfish is adorable but will reach 8"-9" which IMO is too large for a 24 gal tank, especially since you want a reef tank and maintaining water parameters is going to be difficult with such a large fish in the small tank down the road. Unfortunately you will have to return it eventually but at 2.5" now you still have around 4-6 months it you want to wait.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know that I would bother adding a heater in that size tank. During warm summer months I ran my tank without a heater for a long time since it stayed around 75 degrees with A/C on. You could add one for temp stability though if you dont notice major fluctuations then it might just be a waste of space, which in a tank that size is at a premium already. I did finally put a heater in my tank after one night I left the A/C on and the outside temp dropped to 50 and my fish room's temp was a dismal 61 and the digital thermometer was beeping. My tank is large though and fitting a heater in there was easy.

Perhaps add a smaller then average heater that is easy to retrofit into a tight space, that way you aren't wasting too much on something that is just a stability keeper. As for the frogfish I am with tec on that one. He has to go. They are not really reefsafe and he is just too big for that aquarium. You could hang onto him for the 4-6 month period tec described but I would get rid of him now. There are some sweet smaller fish you can use to stock your tank with. If you are looking for something rare and out of the ordinary check out the diver's den on live aquaria. They get tons of rare firefish and pygmy angels, both species would do well in your tank! Though I will warn you the diver's den is not cheap.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 20 gallon with 100 watt heater and you can't see the heater unless you are behind the tank since I have ~45 lbs of lr rock built up still with plently of swimming space. The only downside is less water in there... but I keep the water params in check.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the great advice guys...I just added 10.5 lbs more live rock, I think that brings me up to 40.5lbs total... I also bought an aquaclear 30 Powerhead aimed at the maxijet 900 from the other side of the tank. Just did a weekly cleaning and PWC + added some Kents stuff for the polyp. I really appreciate your help - Oh btw, my lights are not jebo, and they're 72 watts. I hope that's enough to support soft coral and polyps
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

That light will be good for low light corals- polyps and mushrooms, I wouldnt get any ricordea. They would do ok but they really like more light. You have 3 wpg. I have a 130 watt fixture over my 20 so about 6.5 wpg and my leathers/polyps/ricordea/bta and other softies do well. O I have a blasto frag and ruffle ridge coral that also do well.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
That light will be good for low light corals- polyps and mushrooms, I wouldnt get any ricordea. They would do ok but they really like more light. You have 3 wpg. I have a 130 watt fixture over my 20 so about 6.5 wpg and my leathers/polyps/ricordea/bta and other softies do well. O I have a blasto frag and ruffle ridge coral that also do well.
So, just start with shrooms and polyps for now until I can afford more lighting... gotcha! thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com