Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Noob Questions :D

Hey guys, first post here. I'll give you guys a good rundown as to what I have so far in my 24 gallon nano fish/reef.

Millenium 3000 HOB filter
CPR Bak Pak 2 Protein skimmer
Maxijet 900 powerhead
Aquaclear 30 powerhead
10k 72watt lighting

I do PWC's every week on saturdays...
my tank has been up for about a month and a half - and all my tests are 0 or extremely close...ph is about 8.4

Currently I have about 40.5 pounds of LR, ~15lbs of live sand

1x Striated Frogfish
3x Yellowtail Damsels
2x Large snail
3x hermit crab
1x medium sized star polyp

Now, I'm extremely new to the hobby, and have read a lot, but nothing beats talking to people on forums as far as getting great information and recommendations go. So, here I am.

I want to build this tank for Reef>fish - mostly reef, I'm hoping my frogfish will eat the damsels but I'm thinking they may be too fast for him and they're obviously too smart, they don't like his antenna (lol). Anyhow, I wanted to know what the easier, more manageable polyps/shrooms/anenome/soft coral there is out there.

The guy at the LFS told me the frogfish may not be the best idea for a reef, but I've read otherwise, would like some input on that situation. He hasn't bothered my star polyps yet...but I may be concerned placing more expensive more colorful pieces in my tank.

Is my equipment okay for the size tank I have and what I'd like to put into it? or should I be looking at a better means of filtration? and How much livestock would I be able to place into my tank with the equipment I'm running?

Thanks for glancing at my post, hope to hear back from anyone :P

Derrick

Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA!!

First observation would be your Millenium HOB filter. I would do one of two things considering that piece of equipment if you intend to go reef. One would be pull it off the tank altogether and another would be use it only for chemical media (carbon, etc). Personally a better HOB filter for the use of chemical media would be an AquaClear sized for your aquarium.

The HOB filter will act as a debris trap that will become a bacterial breeding ground and work as a nitrate factory. While in FO systems this is alright, reef tanks (especially nanos) require pristine water as nitrate free as possible. The bacteria quickly turns nitrite into nitrate and causes for raised nitrate values. Using only your live rock and a skimmer will have the same effect but the slower bacterial filtration properties of live rock will cause for less nitrates in the long run.

The BakPak skimmer is a good choice for that tank though if it contains the biobale media I would recommend removing that. As for the frogfish I would say, if you are shooting for a reef aquarium he has to go. Not only will his waste throw your water off kilter he will likely go after shrimp and members of your clean up crew.

Since you have such a small tank you will be limited in what fish species you can keep and likely many that will work would end up being lunch for that frogfish.

As for corals go here are some species that would prove hardy:

LPS:

Frogspawn
Bubble
Torch

Soft:

Xenia
Green Star Polyps
Toadstool Leather

Mushrooms:

Just about anything with the exception of Ricordia

Remember to keep your alk and calc values in check. 350-450 calc and around 185 ppm for alk.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the welcome!

Okay, so take out the biological filtration from the Bak Pak and the HOB filter correct? Are the slide in debris/carbon filters for the millenium sufficient for chemical filtration? or would it be overkill if I threw in 2 small bags of carbon in place of the bio filtration?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bonez,

I would get a small bag of chemi-pure for your chemical filtration. IMO it is superior to plain carbon.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
Bonez,

I would get a small bag of chemi-pure for your chemical filtration. IMO it is superior to plain carbon.
That will replace the bio filter in my HOB or the debris/carbon slide in?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

debris carbon side, I would remove the biofilter
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman7010
debris carbon side, I would remove the biofilter
Just picked up a small bag, removed the biofilter on the HOB.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
And for your lighting you mention "10k Jebo Lights." How many watts does it put out and do you only have 10k spectrum? AFAIK Jebo is very poor on quality.

And another 10lbs of lr would be good.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Just like Lance said, JEBO is poor. You might want to look into coralife lights. Also depends on what kind of animals you want to put in there. BTW, Welcome to AA!!!

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Welcome to AA

Chemi-Pure or Purigen are both superior to carbon because they last much longer and won't leach chemicals back into the water. Neither will work well if water can easily go around the media so make sure you pack it into your hob so the water goes through the media.

I agree 10 more lbs of lr would be beneficial.

www.fantasyreef.com has an excellent database on easy/more manageable corals.

Which species of Antennarius (frogfish) do you have? Some get to 10" and most should be housed in a 55+ gal tank.

You didn't mention it but assume you have a heater. How did you cycle the tank? What do you use to measure sg? What your parameters currently i.e. temp, sg, no3, po4, alk, ca in ppm? Your tank is still very new so I'd go very slowly and ask questions before acting as too much too soon will crash a tank very quickly. With the newness of the tank and the amount of stock currently you will have to keep a close eye on nh3/no2 for the next couple of weeks until your bacterial base catches up.

A lot of your bacteria base is housed in the media in your hob/skimmer which if removed all at once before adding more lr could cause a nh3 spike so I'd be hesitant to remove all of it and only remove about 1/4th if possible per week.

I'd add another ph to get the water circulating more pointing towards each other and towards the surface to ripple the water slightly for good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents.

Jebo lights can be hit/miss with most people but you either love or hate them. If the wattage is high enough (96+W) then you have enough to support the medium light corals. If it's not I would buy a Coralife or Current U.S.A model or build your own with a retro-kit.

Total amount of fish I would add to a 24 cube is about 6"-7" total adult length with no fish larger then 5" as an adult. I'd return the damsels and the frogfish personally. There are tons of other smaller fish that would work better in a reef. Checkout www.liveaquaria.com for more options.

I cover a ton of more detail in the Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank post if you haven't read that already.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com