Noob quetion about size of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmeza707

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to start to build a saltwater aquarium. A guy is selling me a 120 gallon fish tank that has been set up as freshwater tank with everything minus the fishes.My quetion is this a good size of a tank to start or should i go smaller.I would like to start with a FO and than later on make it into a FOWLR tank.Also what else would i need if i were to get this tank i know for sure live sand and a Protein Skimmer would i be able to keep the same filtration system or would you recommend something else.Thank-you

the more water you can have the better. a 120 is a great size for a sw or a fw tank. as too your second question you will have to list what the "everything minus the fishies" is. what the light is model/size/wattage? what type of filter and so on.

Loaded question.. there are many threads on here about it as well. I'll define 'need' as minimum. At a minimum all you need is somewhere for biological, mechanical and possibly chemical filtration to take place. That could be HOB filter(s), canister filter(s), live rock, etc. Even sand is optional, barebottom tanks are not out of the question. Throw some lights on the top and (after cycling) you have a FO saltwater tank.

That's the minimum you need to keep a good selection of saltwater fish. Though you will be limited to the types of fish since some need sand and/or live rock.

If the guy is also giving you his filters more the better. Use them if you want.

You can always buy a HOB skimmer as well or go full blown and use an overflow, sump and in-sump skimmer.. or you can wait till down the road. It's your $$ and your time.

O yea, and a heater (or preferably 2)

Thanks im going to go look at the tank later on today and if i buy it i will post what is included

Thanks im going to go look at the tank later on today and if i buy it i will post what is included

For FOWLR then it is OK. I had my 125 for years with HOB, skimmer, couple powerheads, LR and cheap light fixture. Sure the nitrate is always in the up 80s but the fish were doing fine. If you contemplate reef, you really need the overflow box to accomodate the sump. It really does wonders to keep your nitrate within acceptable limit. DP

Back
Top Bottom