Noob ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erawtik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Iv went through about 10 pages reading post after post. Which now has added more ?'s. This is what i have 29gal with about 1" of the cheap sand from lfs, 1 ac 402 power head, and a small hob filter wich will be removed later. Im going to get a little bit of lr and i suppose a bit more sand. Il add a skimmer and remove the hob filter. I want to put a crab, snail and few different fish in. So with this info should what should i add or change like ls on top of sand i have or just more sand? Filtration ok? I see alot of talk about lighting all i have is the standard bulb that is comes with this ok? This tank is just to see if i like it this was my starter tank when i got into cichlids and now i want to see if like sw if i do then bigger tank will come.

Welcome to AA!!!!!!!!!!

your going to be very limited on fish in a 29. I have little experience setting up a tank like your describing, so ill leave the advice to the smart people :D

That being said..... I would just buy regular sand and add about 40-50 lbs LR. Throw in a cocktail shrimp to help the cycle, then find a couple of nice paired clowns to add. :D

you should add some more sand to about 4". Some of it should be ls from an established tank. This add beneficial critters that help maintain the tank.
Then 40 -50 lbs of lr. and another ph, heater, and a hydrometer, and a good book
get the basic sw test kits. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH
And a shrimp to help the cycle.
durring the cycle ammonia will rise, then nitrite will rise, ammonia will start to drop, then nitrite will drop. When Ammonia and nitrite read 0 the cycle is complete (this take from a few days to a few weks)
change 20% of the water and add the cleanup crew

Here's an alternative suggestion:

Stick with the 1" of sand.
Add 30-40 lbs cheap base rock and a few pieces of LR(only if you want to).
Get another powerhead.
Get a skimmer.
Start cycling.

You'll be limited to around 3 fish. I agree that a pair of clownfish will be cool.

ya i know im limited to amount of fish but like i said its just a test to see if we like it and if so il have no problem going for a bigger tank and moving them over and adding more. About the cleanup crew how many should i use i see kits sold on a site that sends you like 12 crabs, 4 or 5 snails etc..... that to me seems so much is it? Only thing about ls is its brown and the sand i have is white i really didnt want to stick the brown on top of the white but if it is for the best i will. And thanks for the welcome.

Don't buy a pre-determined pack for a cleanup crew. Only get what you need once your tank starts growing. If there isn't enough for them to cleanup then they will just starve to death. If possible buy from an LFS so you can just get a few at a time and see how they do.

Back
Top Bottom