Noob Wants a Shark Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've always wanted a shark tank, it's been my dream since I was younger, and now that I'm an avid aquarist I wanna take it on, I have 3 African tanks as of now, a 75g, a 30g breeder, and a 10g fry tank, I have most of the common equipment needed, and I'm very mechanically inclined, I have DIY know-how, and I'm ready to take this on! I want a cat shark tank. Lay it on me guys!

Mostly expert only because you need a massive tank for the lots of them and because how aggressive they can be and also their diet but anything is possible

Awesome way to crush my dreams guys.. Lol jk but I know they say expert only, but is it really an expert only fish? Or is that just a deterrent?

Mostly expert only because you need a massive tank for the lots of them and because how aggressive they can be and also their diet but anything is possible

Oh and I only want one with maybe a few tank mates that's it, not a 10 shark fish tank lol

If you have only been doing freshwater so far it's a big change to saltwater and a regular fish tank isn't recommended. Sharks and stingrays like to move around in circles so a custom cylinder like tank would be recommended first.

Didn't want too kill your dreams even I had a dream for a shark.

If you have only been doing freshwater so far it's a big change to saltwater and a regular fish tank isn't recommended. Sharks and stingrays like to move around in circles so a custom cylinder like tank would be recommended first.

Only a cylinder? How about a 125g?

Unless your too buy a shark egg and raise it from there you will have to find it a new home eventually. By the time it goes from a baby or from 6 months the least you will have to get it a new home and when it come to saltwater space is everything.

Unless your too buy a shark egg and raise it from there you will have to find it a new home eventually. By the time it goes from a baby or from 6 months the least you will have to get it a new home and when it come to saltwater space is everything.

I was planning on hatching it in the tank, and raising it but eventually finding a new home

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharks are the easiest of all the marine animals I currently have Three things make sharks expert only. Cost of ownership. Size of tank. Filtration. Certain sharks will require a round tank most will not. You will need for the easiest of all sharks a coral cat shark you will need the following. 5ft x 3ft x2ft tank minimum. 8-10x's per hour turn rate on filtration. Double tank volume in skimming power. Very little live rock. Fine sand. Not as hard as most people think. Just the cost of all the upkeep.

I would say all sharks need a tank with rounded corners. I suggest starting with a tank capable of holding the shark when it's full grown, good luck trying to find someone willing to take your full grown shark. You need a large sump to keep the live rock, sharks get hurt by scratching themselves on the rock and by hitting the end of the tank. Look at sharks in display tanks in fish stores. They almost always have injured noses or side fins. They need a ton of space.

That 180 gallon recommendation by liveaquaria seems small to me, I have a 6 foot tank and couldn't imagine a shark in it.

alright guys, im digging this old thing up because ive been doing saltwater for 2 months now and ive got the hang of things, as far as fowlr goes and im getting into corals now as well, i still want a shark tank too, ive been looking into it, and ive fund that the 155g bow front (72"x24"25" or the reef ready 180gal (72"x24"x25") would be best, what do you guys think..?

Last edited:
alright guys, im digging this old thing up because ive been doing saltwater for 2 months now and ive got the hang of things, as far as fowlr goes and im getting into corals now as well, i still want a shark tank too, ive been looking into it, and ive fund that the 155g bow front (72"x24"25" or the reef ready 180gal (72"x24"x25") would be best, what do you guys think..?

Shark Species I would Recommend:

Coral Cat Shark - Max Size 2ft - Probably the easiest to care for)

Hallstrom's Bamboo Shark - Max Size 2ft (Hard to find but worth it. Extremely Small at Birth 5-6 inches)

Tank Size:
MINIMUM but I would Recommend bigger
5ft x 3ft x 2ft = 225 Gallons

Tank Interior
250 Live Sand
60-70 lbs of live rock. Only in the direct middle of the tank. Stacked do not block swimming alleys. You can go without the rock if you want but your tank will look plane. Do not get the urge to add more.

Filtration:

300 Gallon Coral Vue Cone Skimmer. I used one and they are very good.

T5 or Led lights are fine. The LED look better but do not overkill with lighting you wont need it. Just enough to fill the tank with a nice clean glow and shimmer.

Phosphate Reactor

Carbon Reactor

Uv Sterilizer - Debatable but I love mine. It keeps algae and polishes the water.

Large dense Micron filter sock - (You can use filter pads) I do not use filter socks but wish I had designed my customer sump to do so. The socks catch everything. They are pain to clean and will need to be cleaned at least twice a week. But your water will stay much cleaner with them.

Seachem Matrix - (You do not have to use media some people do not but if you do I would go with this. I added this to my tank after removing bio balls (Do not use Bio Balls with Sharks) It lowered my nitrates between 20-40 almost immediately and they have stayed at that level since.

Pumps- You will need something will turn the water over at least 8 times per hour. I would recommend 10-12 if you can get there. Don't forget to account for the head space (distance of pipe the water travels from the pump to the tank) when calculating gph in your tank.

Maintenance:
Be prepared to do water changes. I have gone the de-nitrator rout and have since removed it. It smells like hell and can not compete with sharks. I currently change 160 gallons per week in a 1,000 tank just to keep the nitrates at 40. I have 2,000 gallons worth of skimming power on my tank and all of my filtration is high end and over kill. I would change 50 gallons per week once the shark hits 10-12 inches per week. Depending on what else you stock with it will effect this. But that will give you and average monthly water change of 220 gallons per month on a weekly basis and will not shock the shark or hurt anything.

Tank Mates:
With a tank that size you will be limited but below is a list of things you can add and the shark will not mess with them at all and more importantly they will not mess with the shark. Remember there are things that will state otherwise on the internet but with a tank size of 225 gallons you will not want to risk stressing the shark because there will not be enough room for him to go far away so you will need to be more cautious. I have both the Good and the Bad below.

Bad
Trigger Fish (Blue Jaw is the only exception I would risk, but still a risk)
Angels
Lion Fish (If you have a huge tank this fine but not in a 225-250)
Aggressive eels. (Feeding can be dangerouse. Only eel I would use is a zebra eel. You will have no problem with them.)
Most corals (Just because the sharks knock them over and the water quality wont be strong enough to support them along with the lighting.)
Urchins (To Sharp)

Good
Tangs
Wrasse
Grouper
Fox Face
Rabbit Fish
Clown Fish
Damsels
Chromis
Hermits
Snails
Starfish
Batfish

There other others but this is a basic guide. You may lose a snail or two but not enough to worry about it. The clown fish and other small will be fine but just make sure that you introduce them first before the shark goes in. Only because they are small. Sharks 90% of the time will not mess with them.

I am sure I missed a few things but if anyone wants to add anything go right ahead.

You may be able to get my with a 180 gallon but it will be a water changing nightmare and you will be miserable. The money you save on the tank. You will end up spending on maintenance to keep the water clean. The shark wont like it much either.

aaaaaaaaaand.. my dreams are crushed.. :(

lol thanks though, i live in an apartment, and im on a students budget so i dont think ill be doing this soon, but this info is really good stuff, i printed this all out already to keep in my dreams archive ha but seriously ill keep it for when i build my house, id like to do an in-wall or something of the sort so this has given me a whole new outlook on my dreams of a shark tank, i think an 6x3x3 or an 8x4x4 tank would be freaking sweet, but for now.. ill stick with my 125gal reef dreams, at least i can still move it elsewhere if i get evicted.. ha :D

aaaaaaaaaand.. my dreams are crushed.. :(

lol thanks though, i live in an apartment, and im on a students budget so i dont think ill be doing this soon, but this info is really good stuff, i printed this all out already to keep in my dreams archive ha but seriously ill keep it for when i build my house, id like to do an in-wall or something of the sort so this has given me a whole new outlook on my dreams of a shark tank, i think an 6x3x3 or an 8x4x4 tank would be freaking sweet, but for now.. ill stick with my 125gal reef dreams, at least i can still move it elsewhere if i get evicted.. ha :D

You're looking at, ball park range, $5000ish to start up a shark tank and that's if you buy new. Used you could get by a little cheaper maybe but not many people have used shark tanks lol. Corners need to be rounded and it needs to be more or less square than long since they need to be able to turn around at full size. You're looking at 250-300 gallons minimum so figure 60 gallon water changes every week on it and probably $100 a month to feed it lol. if the start up cost doesnt scare you then imagine the maintenance cost of it lol. Sorry to crush your dreams tex :ermm:

You're looking at, ball park range, $5000ish to start up a shark tank and that's if you buy new. Used you could get by a little cheaper maybe but not many people have used shark tanks lol. Corners need to be rounded and it needs to be more or less square than long since they need to be able to turn around at full size. You're looking at 250-300 gallons minimum so figure 60 gallon water changes every week on it and probably $100 a month to feed it lol. if the start up cost doesnt scare you then imagine the maintenance cost of it lol. Sorry to crush your dreams tex :ermm:

dang timmy you too?! lol i know, its gonna be a huge PITA but ill just see him like another kid, like my stepchild of the sea lol but seriously i know how much its going to cost, but 4-5k on a shark tank isnt going to be much of a difference on a 125k home loan, ill just throw that in the contract as a 5k buffer for "expenses" :D

dang timmy you too?! lol i know, its gonna be a huge PITA but ill just see him like another kid, like my stepchild of the sea lol but seriously i know how much its going to cost, but 4-5k on a shark tank isnt going to be much of a difference on a 125k home loan, ill just throw that in the contract as a 5k buffer for "expenses" :D

Better remember that you'll need to maintain it and buy the sharks too after you have to pay that house payment lol. I learned a long time ago if i have more than one tank (even though i have 2 now) i will favor one more than the other and slightly neglect one.

having them in the store is enough for me lol. I can't see dedicating that much time, money and space for a shark lol. I guess it benefits me to not care for them like most people lol. I love me some tangs, eels and triggers though. :brows:

Back
Top Bottom