Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You could easily fit 4 fish in a tank that size. Probably even 5 if you have a sump / refugium.

I will agree to skipping the damsels. They are aggressive fish that terrorize their tank mates.

Just be sure to quarantine EVERYTHING before going into your DT. Even if it's your very first fish. I didn't and ended up having to keep my DT empty for 6 weeks because of it.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

well guys ive decided to do my 37g bow front as my first sw tank, and keep my 20g tall as my convict tank.

so no damsels, ok got it.

what else do i need guys? i have a sum of money burning a hole in my pocket it might not be much but i wanna get this going already!

i have a top fin power 75 filter, dual t5 lighting, and the tank of course.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

All you NEED is a source of water flow, live rock, salt, water, and a hydrometer.

Everything else is just to make your life easier.

List of some general salt water equipment in the order I would buy them:
RO/DI filter
Powerheads
Refractometer
Refugium / sump (Easy to DIY the bigger the better 50% tank volume recommended)
Protein Skimmer

After this the list gets more extensive when you get into coral keeping but this is a good set of equipment.

If you have the money I would look into getting some lighting so you can start keeping corals whenever you want. These chinese leds are highly recommended, affordable, and very very powerful.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay
Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
All you NEED is a source of water flow, live rock, salt, water, and a hydrometer.

Everything else is just to make your life easier.

List of some general salt water equipment in the order I would buy them:
RO/DI filter
Powerheads
Refractometer
Refugium / sump (Easy to DIY the bigger the better 50% tank volume recommended)
Protein Skimmer

After this the list gets more extensive when you get into coral keeping but this is a good set of equipment.

If you have the money I would look into getting some lighting so you can start keeping corals whenever you want. These chinese leds are highly recommended, affordable, and very very powerful.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light White US | eBay
The ro/di system would be hard because I live in an apartment, and I'm still getting used to all the lingo, I have 2 koralia powerheads I believe 325's and I wanna do a hang on back system if possible I don't want a canister system or refugium. That's a little too advanced for me.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
The ro/di system would be hard because I live in an apartment, and I'm still getting used to all the lingo, I have 2 koralia powerheads I believe 325's and I wanna do a hang on back system if possible I don't want a canister system or refugium. That's a little too advanced for me.
You can buy adapters to fit a ro/di system onto a sink faucet. That is exactly what I will be doing when I buy mine (I have excellent tap water so it hasn't been a priority for me)

The refugiums aren't nearly as complicated as they seem. You can buy a HOB overflow and with a few pieces of pvc, submersible water pump, and some flex tubing set up is a breeze. The only problem with a HOB filter is that they only really do anything when the tank size is small. The larger the refugium the more impact it will have on the water parameters.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
You can buy adapters to fit a ro/di system onto a sink faucet. That is exactly what I will be doing when I buy mine (I have excellent tap water so it hasn't been a priority for me)

The refugiums aren't nearly as complicated as they seem. You can buy a HOB overflow and with a few pieces of pvc, submersible water pump, and some flex tubing set up is a breeze. The only problem with a HOB filter is that they only really do anything when the tank size is small. The larger the refugium the more impact it will have on the water parameters.
so i wont be able to use my hob filter system then? and im good with pvc piping and junk i just have never understood the mechanics and stages of the filtration of a refugium/overflow system. i wanna keep it simple with some low light corals and maybe 3-4 fish and i'll call it a day guys.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You don't have to have a sump or refugium. Throw some shaving brushes in the sand bed behind your rock so you'll never see them. They will absorb nitrates as well when the grow. I'd invest in a skimmer before I did a sump if I had to choose but that's just me. You want some type if filter and I would personally go with something like a fluval 306 or 406. Make sure it's rated for double your tank size though. I would get powerheads, rodi machine, HOB skimmer, canister filter, a refractometer ( my hydrometer was showing 1.023 and I bought a hydrometer and it showed 1.031) hydrometers are hit and miss in accuracy, sand, rock, salt mix and then enjoy the hobby for a while. Most corals require a stable tank and it will take you and the tank sometime to get in sync with each other enough to keep things stable. Keep it simple to begin with and add as you go. You can always add a sump later. I run my 55 gallon without a sump and have for the last 5 years with a fluval 406 on it and powerheads. It's not rocket science like some people make it out to be. Just do weekly 10% water changes or 20% every other month and you'll be fine. Lighting would be the next thing I'd upgrade after you've had the tank up for a while and are wanting to grow corals. I personally am getting rid if my corals and going back to a fowlr since I don't have the time for a reef anymore.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

so i wont be able to use my hob filter system then? and im good with pvc piping and junk i just have never understood the mechanics and stages of the filtration of a refugium/overflow system. i wanna keep it simple with some low light corals and maybe 3-4 fish and i'll call it a day guys.
I would go with a canister. The tubes hanging in the tank look bad to me in tanks. Put you a canister on it. You won't regret it. Just use hose clamps and you won't have any leaks. Mine is 5 years old and I haven't had the first leak and I'm not even going to knock on wood lol.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
You don't have to have a sump or refugium. Throw some shaving brushes in the sand bed behind your rock so you'll never see them. They will absorb nitrates as well when the grow. I'd invest in a skimmer before I did a sump if I had to choose but that's just me. You want some type if filter and I would personally go with something like a fluval 306 or 406. Make sure it's rated for double your tank size though. I would get powerheads, rodi machine, HOB skimmer, canister filter, a refractometer ( my hydrometer was showing 1.023 and I bought a hydrometer and it showed 1.031) hydrometers are hit and miss in accuracy, sand, rock, salt mix and then enjoy the hobby for a while. Most corals require a stable tank and it will take you and the tank sometime to get in sync with each other enough to keep things stable. Keep it simple to begin with and add as you go. You can always add a sump later. I run my 55 gallon without a sump and have for the last 5 years with a fluval 406 on it and powerheads. It's not rocket science like some people make it out to be. Just do weekly 10% water changes or 20% every other month and you'll be fine. Lighting would be the next thing I'd upgrade after you've had the tank up for a while and are wanting to grow corals. I personally am getting rid if my corals and going back to a fowlr since I don't have the time for a reef anymore.
good info, good info, im definitely feeling more confident now!

ok time for the "duh" questions guys, you all knew it was coming, lol

whats a refractometer and what does it do?
whats a hydrometer and what does it do?
what is a protein skimmer and what does it do?
what will the hob filter have in it? live rock? polymer floss? regular carbon cartridge?

how long does cycling take before i can add fish?
how about an android app to keep me on track?
parameters i should keep stable?
whats considered stable?

anything else im missing?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless you are ok with cracking a canister filter open and cleaning it AT LEAST once a week then stick with the HOB filter. You should still be cleaning the HOB filter at least once a week but it is so much simpler it's stupid. A big AquaClear is just about the perfect HOB filter for saltwater tanks as you can just stuff it with polyfill and change it every couple of days. Then, when you upgrade to a sump, you can use it as an HOB 'fuge.
Best of luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com