Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
You can shop around but coralife makes a hang on back skimmer, maxijet pro pumps can be used a circulation pumps or powerheads, I like circ pumps, rock for a budget minded person would be dry base rock (I buy the 50lbs from petsolutions.com for $70 free shipping), salt mix I use Kent's reef mix($50 for a box that makes 200 gallons of water) which will last about 8 months or more on a 29 gallon, I use marine land heaters, and get some Fiji pink live sand (20lbs for ~$20-$30) other than that you really don't have any more expenses, I use the Bulk reef supply RODI filter but you could buy it from a local fish store until you decide to buy one. I paid about $160-$180 for my RODI filter. Get a few 5gallon buckets, an algae magnet for the glass, some nets, etc. get a dedicated set if tools and containers for your saltwater tank. You don't want anything from freshwater going into your saltwater tank and vice versa. It's really a hobby that you can pick up things as you go. Not everything listed is required but it make life easier and maintenance on the tank much simpler and less frequent.
Isn't rodi water just "watermill" water?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's conpletely pure water with 0 tds (total dissolved solids) basically it is nothing besides hydrogen and oxygen in simple terms, I'm not sure what water mill water is....

Old 08-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Also, keep in mind that a lot of equipment that people throw out there is just fluffer to make your life easy. You don't really need the expensive high tech equipment (Unless you are keeping difficult corals), but it will take a little bit more work on your end without it.
Awesome advice, I'm not s brand name guy either, if it gets the job done just as good or better for 3/4 or 1/2 the price? Shyt hook me up brotha lol
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know! I was drooling today over all the sps corals and lion fish lol

And I want to start with some smaller cheaper fish till I get the hang of things in case I don't catch on quick enough I don't lose a $100 fish lol (knock on wood)
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Awesome advice, I'm not s brand name guy either, if it gets the job done just as good or better for 3/4 or 1/2 the price? Shyt hook me up brotha lol
You really do get what you pay for .....most of the time...... In saltwater. Nothing like coming home to struggling fish because a $10 heater failed on or off, a $10 pump quit, or a cheap skimmer leaked, etc etc. cheap seems good until you end up with $100s in my case $1000s if livestock dying over a piece of cheap equipment. But anything can fail haha but I've had better luch with name brand stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

You really do get what you pay for .....most of the time...... In saltwater. Nothing like coming home to struggling fish because a $10 heater failed on or off, a $10 pump quit, or a cheap skimmer leaked, etc etc. cheap seems good until you end up with $100s in my case $1000s if livestock dying over a piece of cheap equipment. But anything can fail haha but I've had better luch with name brand stuff.
Ok I don't mean THAT cheap lol I mean not the top of the line "oh my gawd, I have to have that" equipment, no magazine promo stuff just good working lesser known brands is what I mean.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just checking I see people buying eBay stuff and having terrible problems with it haha
Old 08-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just checking I see people buying eBay stuff and having terrible problems with it haha
Lol no sir, an ebay addict I'm am not
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

Lol no sir, an ebay addict I'm am not
I am an eBay addict. You can get some real good deals on there.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am an eBay addict. You can get some real good deals on there.
no no i meant the ebay brand china stuff like the 1600gph powerheads LOL

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com