Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

so i have been tagging along in this thread since i just started SW after many FW tanks. i was wondering if hardy fish (clowns and watchman goby) will be ok during the night if i turn of the HOB filter. the tank is in my room and i'm a light sleeper. i really can't move the tank to the living room or elsewhere cuz i'm renting a room from the home owner.

also, what's the quietest powerhead out there? like i said i'm a light sleeper and i can't sleep if the powerhead is making noises throughout the night. or can i turn it off during the night as well?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
so i have been tagging along in this thread since i just started SW after many FW tanks. i was wondering if hardy fish (clowns and watchman goby) will be ok during the night if i turn of the HOB filter. the tank is in my room and i'm a light sleeper. i really can't move the tank to the living room or elsewhere cuz i'm renting a room from the home owner.

also, what's the quietest powerhead out there? like i said i'm a light sleeper and i can't sleep if the powerhead is making noises throughout the night. or can i turn it off during the night as well?
You're going to want to keep some flow in the tank at all times for oxygen exchange. Some people do turn off the majority of their flow at night though. I would look at hydor koralia power heads, I have two of them and can't even tell they're running.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
You're going to want to keep some flow in the tank at all times for oxygen exchange. Some people do turn off the majority of their flow at night though. I would look at hydor koralia power heads, I have two of them and can't even tell they're running.
x2 im going to run twin hydor koralia 325 powerheads for a nice easy current, my hob isnt terribly loud but im a heavy sleeper lol it lulls me to sleep
Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, so should i get two nano koralias240 powerheads for my 30gal tank or just one big one? i also have this Natural Wavemaker and i'm not sure if i should get the FLO deflector that people usually get

Amazon.com: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker: Pet Supplies
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
ok, so should i get two nano koralias240 powerheads for my 30gal tank or just one big one? i also have this Natural Wavemaker and i'm not sure if i should get the FLO deflector that people usually get

Amazon.com: Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker: Pet Supplies
i would just do the 2 nano's ill probably be getting pair of those and ditching my 325's, for saltwater from what ive read, the better the circulation the better, so ill be going with a pair, but to each his own bud
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 2 240s on my 20g tank and wish I had gone with stronger ones. Go with the stronger flow.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whether they live through the night or not isnt the question haha. They will struggle with low oxygen levels in the water column with no flow. Cut your filter off and leave your powerheads running and you'll be fine as long as you have good surface agitation. Just don't forget to turn your filter back on or out it on a timer.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I have 2 240s on my 20g tank and wish I had gone with stronger ones. Go with the stronger flow.
so i should go with a pair of nano 425's..?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

I would if you plan to use a bigger grain sand to keep it from blowing around the tank. The more flow the better but you don't want your fish excessively fighting the current all day long
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
This is a 37g correct?

If so I would probably look at a pair of the Hydor koralia evolution 600s

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com