Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I would if you plan to use a bigger grain sand to keep it from blowing around the tank. The more flow the better but you don't want your fish excessively fighting the current all day long
do i have a chioce in grain size when i get live sand..? i need to know asap im getting it today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
This is a 37g correct?

If so I would probably look at a pair of the Hydor koralia evolution 600s
yes it is, buti dont want to much flow, i want just enough, this will be a lightly stocked tank so i dont need jet propelled flow lol just enough to sweep away waste and uneaten food and keep the fish happy.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

do i have a chioce in grain size when i get live sand..? i need to know asap im getting it today!

yes it is, buti dont want to much flow, i want just enough, this will be a lightly stocked tank so i dont need jet propelled flow lol just enough to sweep away waste and uneaten food and keep the fish happy.
I would go with Fiji pink substrate if they have it. The polite is one size smaller and is too small imho and the one that's a size bigger seems a bit too coarse to me.

The 425s would probably work then. It will take a little more effort to get them just right for flow in the tank but its not that big of a deal.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would go with Fiji pink substrate if they have it. The polite is one size smaller and is too small imho and the one that's a size bigger seems a bit too coarse to me.

The 425s would probably work then. It will take a little more effort to get them just right for flow in the tank but its not that big of a deal.
is that subtrate actually pink?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not really just a slightly hint in my opinion. But it's more of a whitish tan. At least all if the bags I've ever bought were
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
is that subtrate actually pink?
I don't know why it's called that but it refers to the grain size

I have the special grade and wish I had gone with the fiji pink instead.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fiji pink is awesome! Love the size & color.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

so i was in Daytona beach recently and got some really white fine sand from the beach, assuming no harmful chemicals or whatever, could it turn into live sand? and does it have some of the properties that the "live sand" have? such as pH buffering
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
so i was in Daytona beach recently and got some really white fine sand from the beach, assuming no harmful chemicals or whatever, could it turn into live sand? and does it have some of the properties that the "live sand" have? such as pH buffering
The only thing that makes live sand "live" is a build up of bacteria. It certainly will turn into live sand if you use it as such.

However it probably wouldn't have the same pH buffering properties as the aragonite sand.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post
Quote:

The only thing that makes live sand "live" is a build up of bacteria. It certainly will turn into live sand if you use it as such.

However it probably wouldn't have the same pH buffering properties as the aragonite sand.
It is silica sand so no, as Mebbid said, no buffering like aragonite.
And, YIKES! Sand from Daytona Beach?! Good luck with that. They still let people drive on the beach so there is no telling what is in it. Not something I would risk. Considering the amount of money in my tank there is no way I would cheap out on sand like that. The beach I live on is a federal reserve, nothing for miles and miles and miles, and I still would not risk it.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

I don't know why it's called that but it refers to the grain size

I have the special grade and wish I had gone with the fiji pink instead.
Ahh eye see now. Well I'm definitely going with reef sand for the grain size and color I went to my lrs and drooled all over the angels and tangs lol.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com