Noobie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bird33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone I'm interested in starting a salt water reef and fish tank. I'm looking at a 75 gal . I've never had a tank before and for the past month have been gathering as much info I can before starting . So any info would be appreciated !! Thank u !

Here are my tips, invest in auto top off system, good skimmer and if you can a sump (tank under main tank that is your filter). Also a rodi system is a solid investment, rodi is reverse osmosis de-ionized water.

Yes I'm going sump and RO system. What about lights???

Also gonna cut tank into a wall and make my own stand. I will be posting pics!!

As far as lights go led, way better on the power bill and bulbs last an eternity. Just make sure you ask on here about what lights are ok because a lot of brands claim to be "reef compatible" yet wouldn't suffice as a flashlight let alone grow coral.

There are lots of good ones out there and it's a case of what you want. Radions are top notch and have lots of Bells and whistles, taotronics are cheap and have bare minimum. I personally have pharos LEDs and I like them and they are middle of the road.

Are there any You Tube channels that u would suggest to watch??

Woody390 I've got some ideas for stock do u recommend anything special??

I would recommend clownfish, you have to have clowns. Avoid damsels as they are mean little monsters. Other than that I say every tank needs to have a balance between swimmers, chillers, rock crawlers and sand sifters. By chillers I mean fish like clowns or firefish that tend to stay in one small area of the tank. In my 90g I have 2 clowns (chillers) 1 mimic tang (swimmer) and two gobies (engineer and diamond both sand sifters) and a mandarin (rock crawler). I would recommend avoiding tangs in a 75 (or in my case a 90g same basic tank) there are some you could do however like a kole yellow eye. You could also get a foxface but I find them to be timid and hide unlike a tang always swimming.

In your tank maybe a pair of clowns, small tang like a kole, definitely need a sand goby maybe even a pistol shrimp pair, smaller wrasse like a mckoskers or get a trio of anthias, if you have a sump planned you should plan to have a mandarin dragonette (most beautiful fish hands down)

I do plan to have sump. Thank you very much for your input!!! Anything else u can think of... I'm all ears!!

I have some damsels they are mean little buggers but I don't have a reef so there good. They seem to get along with my clowns pretty good so far.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, it's not really "live" it's just wet. Your sandbed will become live on it's own so just get the regular reef sand

Back
Top Bottom